Accidentally "carbonated" my beer with L.P.G.!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garcia

Reaction score
Long story short, I mixed up my tanks and ended up with 40PSI of LGP in my keg for a week. What should I do?

Should I RDWHAHB?

Long story short, I mixed up my tanks and ended up with 40PSI of LGP in my keg for a week. What should I do?

Should I RDWHAHB?

I'd be interested to hear how exactly you managed this both from a mechanical (do the fitting actually match up?) to the common sense (you actually mixed up a propane and CO2 tank? How?)

To answer your Q: carbon dioxide is able to be dissolved in beer because it forms carbonic acid. I don't think liquid propane can do anything like that and therefore would not dissolve in beer/aqueous solutions.

from all the reports I've heard of people with exploding tap water in areas where fracking has forced natural gas into the groundwater, I would say definitely don't smoke near it. I would even go so far as to say don't drink it, as the number of carcinogens that you would find in LPG, that's just not a good thing. my $.02

If it was mine it would be dumped, But do elaborate on how this happened please.

I work in the natural gas field and can attest that the fittings are very much the same. I could see this happening if you weren't paying attention.

Dump it outside in an empty field. Then light it on fire.

I'd be concerned about releasing the gas without causing a static spark. And cleaning it out? Every single gasket would have to be changed as well as the poppits. Hopefully the smell would go away, but that keg would always be very suspect in my mind. I think the only safe thing you can do is take it out into a field and shoot guns at it.

Wow, just wow. I wouldn't bother saving this one. In fact if it were me I probably wouldn't even use the keg again. Maybe that's over cautious, but to me it's just not worth it. At the very least get rid of the contents and replace your seals/lines.

Is today April fool's day?

I do not believe this is real. Think about it. The fittings are not even similar. Unless you somehow filled a CO2 cylinder with LPG. But even then the fittings are still very different.

You have several options.

1. Crack open bottles and take a glug in your mouth and spit it into a lighter making some sweet fire balls.

2. Line up the bottles on a fence post, have a small fire lit near/under the fence post. Proceed to start shooting the bottles once again making fire balls.

3. Do none of these because they would cause massive destruction (I would totally do this because fire is sweet).

I take my post back.

I'd be concerned about releasing the gas without causing a static spark. And cleaning it out? Every single gasket would have to be changed as well as the poppits. Hopefully the smell would go away, but that keg would always be very suspect in my mind. I think the only safe thing you can do is take it out into a field and shoot guns at it.

You need to do this

You forgot to add - "while you video the whole thing!"

And this

Man this beer is fracking good. I chugged it at absolute open flow, An explosion of taste as I feel the beer going thru my pipelines. I feel it might just give me explosive diarrhea.

As a side note, I'll probably do an ethyl mercaptan rest next time.

Not passing judgment, but if I had done this, I'm not sure I would have admitted it on this forum, much less ask, "What do I do?" Seriously? Dump the stuff before someone gets hurt.

Man this beer is fracking good. I chugged it at absolute open flow, An explosion of taste as I feel the beer going thru my pipelines. I feel it might just give me explosive diarrhea.

I had never quoted myself.

That cute bartender charged me $5 more to serve me a drink that was on fire. I think you might be on to something.

I say drink it. Then go take a dump on a campfire, while singing Alicia Keyes. See what happens. :D

(singing like Allicia Keyes)

"This dude is on fiiiiiiiiiiiieuuuurrrrrrrrrr!!!" :D

Drink a 6 pack of the beer and then hold a lighter to your butt and let a fart go.

and post the vid here please

Disclaimer: Don't do this!

I would hook up a nozzle, take it to a field and make a flamethrower - and take videos and post them here.

Again disclaimer: Don't do that!

Put me in the take it out to a field with a 12 gauge and the largest steel shot you can find. Stand as far as you can away and video tape it. Other option would be a rifle with full metal jacket ammunition. You really want that steel on steel interaction to make things interesting. Video tape it all. Put the video on youtube.

After you do that, please refrain from dropping blotter acid before your next batch. I can't honestly believe someone could do this, but if you did, try swimming out from the shallow end of the gene pool.....

It is fairly difficult to light off a propane tank with a gun.

Even after this, there was only a 50 Cal sized hole in the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me see if I have some tracers left. If not slugs it is.

I would like everyone to know I was joking around. Not being serious, thought it would be funny.

Let me see if I have some tracers left. If not slugs it is.

I would like everyone to know I was joking around. Not being serious, thought it would be funny.

Well, you got some funny responses.:mug:

Clearly a troll and an attention grab.

that's enough of that crap, you nerds. I'm getting the berry punchers warmed up.

C'mon. Open your eyes. Look up to the skies and see.

And methane? Really? I use a combo of lye and hydrochloric acid. It works really fast. And it tingles.

Latest posts

Back