Accidental warm start, should I dump it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatulentfox

Reaction score
So I brewed a kolsch yesterday. I pitched my yeast at about 11pm. I am using wyeast 1007 german ale. I realize its not the best kolsch yeast, but its all that was in stock at the LBS.

I ferment in a heated and cooled temperature controlled mini fridge. I accidentally left the temp probe outside the fridge when I closed it after pitching.

Fast forward 12 hours and the heater has been running all night (ambient temp is upper 40s...) The wort temp was 105 degrees today.

It is bubbling away. I have it cooling appropriately now.

I would let it go and see how it turns out, but it is for a friends wedding, and if its likely going to be off, I will just dump it and re-brew this week.

I only have one temp controlled fermenter and need to push a few beers through as quick as possible.

TLDR; over night after pitching at 100 degrees, will this ruin the beer?

Thanks.

It may not be the best or suitable for serving at the wedding, but can be surprisingly very drinkable. I would not dump it unless it's really bad. You won't know that for a few days or a week.

Can you put this one in a cool place to let it ferment out and start another batch the proper way?

Alternatively you can let it go for a few more days, rack to some secondary vessel, and use half the yeast cake for the good batch.

You should make appropriate size starters for your beer anyway.

Alternatively you can let it go for a few more days, rack to some secondary vessel, and use half the yeast cake for the good batch.

That is a great idea. I do have plenty of carboys. Should the yeast remain healthy despite the initial warm temps?

I do try to make starters for bigger beers. My biggest problem with starters is getting everything ahead of time... I dont really have any excuses. I have canned starter wort and everything.

However, I usually have acceptable results with the wyeast packs for 5 gallon batches of 1.050 or so wort. Assuming all other factors are ideal anyway.

I would be buying a new bucket and brewing again if your in a time crunch. But don't toss this one. Ya never know, might be the best beer ever.

Cheers
Jay

I pitched yeast into 95-degree wort & didn't get temps down for over 12 hours. It gave the beer a weird sweetness that never went away. My worst batch ever.

Just an anecdote...

:)

I'd say brew another, put that one in the fermentation chamber when it's ready and let the other one ride outside of the fridge. Might as well wait and taste it, but it will probably be terrible. Yep.

That is a great idea. I do have plenty of carboys. Should the yeast remain healthy despite the initial warm temps?

I do try to make starters for bigger beers. My biggest problem with starters is getting everything ahead of time... I dont really have any excuses. I have canned starter wort and everything.

However, I usually have acceptable results with the wyeast packs for 5 gallon batches of 1.050 or so wort. Assuming all other factors are ideal anyway.

Yeah, the yeast will be fine unless it got really cooked. 125°F is probably about the limit, but it depends on the yeast. Yeast doesn't mind it a bit warmer, but most of them start cranking out large amounts of fusel alcohols and other byproducts we humans don't like. Hence we restrain them. Now Saison yeasts actually work better at 80F and up, and give us very palatable beer.

It only takes 12-24 hours to build a starter, a stir plate being the most efficient. You could pitch the whole starter if you don't want to cold crash and decant it first, which takes 1-4 days depending on the yeast. The best money saving strategy is to hold some starter or slurry back and grow a new starter from it when you need it next.

ill brew another batch later this week and pitch some slurry from the first batch. ill let this one go and see what comes of it.

thanks everyone.

a kolsch using any other yeast but kolsch yeast is not a kolsch. kolsch yeast produce a particular flavor that is unmistakable and unique.

Friend of mine doing his first solo batch (a pale ale) panicked, forgot all that we had taught/showed him and pitched US-05 into 95*F wort. Even though he immediately put it into a fermentation chamber set at 65*F, it turned out to be rather nasty with some especially funky esters. It was dumped even after a couple months of bottle conditioning.

Glad to hear that you're doing a backup batch as the first one is like to be undrinkable.

Latest posts

Back