Accidental Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobie99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started my first cider not that long ago (5 gals, w/crushed campden, Pectic Enzyme, Yeast Nutrient, and Nottingham -- added 24hrs after campden). It's been sitting happily, clearing nicely, for about 6 weeks now.

I bought another gal (UV pasteurized only, no preservatives) with the intent that I would pour it into the original batch to top up the fermenter when I move it all to secondary in a day or two. After about 10 days in the fridge, the new gal is now all puffy and fizzy with an active ferment (and actually blew over a bit., spilling about 25% into the refrigerator.

The question is, what to do with my accidental cider from the fridge. Since there is a clearly wild yeast strain happily munching away, would it be a bad idea to add this to my big batch in the fermenter? Can I just keep opening the cap a but every day for another week or so to vent the bottle and let it keep going then drink, or should I just drink it now and enjoy the slight funk before it goes any further? Is there anything I can/should do to keep it from becoming apple cider vinegar and make sure it stays drinkable? Or should I just chalk up this gallon jug as a loss?

What temperature do you keep your refrigerator at? And did you open the cider gallon?

I'd take it out of the fridge, crack the cap and let it ride. I don't know what you got, might be tasty, might be alien spawn.

Read about wild yeast fermentation. I would see if I could find a airlock to fit and see what you get. You could put a hole in the cap and fation a blow off valve from a jar with water in it. Either way let it do what it do and see what it bee.:drunk:

You can also take the cap off and put some sanitized cling wrap over the opening and hold it there with a rubber band. That works fine.

I would NOT mix it with your current clean batch. I'd also be leery about getting another gallon from wherever you bought this last gallon. If the gallon wasn't opened then something is bad in their sanitation. You might try pasteurizing a gallon of that cider before mixing, just to be safe.

Thanks guys, yeah -- I'm gonna pull it out of the fridge and let it just do its thing...
Found an empty gallon jug I can use (already have a drilled bung that I fits it so I can put an airlock on).

I'm thinking about whether or not I should add anything to it (some extra yeast I have lying around, or other fermentables -- like honey, DME, or brown sugar), but probably gonna just let it ride. Let's go au natural!!!

Right now, it smells like the kind of funky fermentation I often get with belgian strains. We'll have to see what happens!

No, I hadn't opened the jug yet. Not until last night in order to release some pressure. I was surprised at how quickly wild fermentation began too, but I guess that's the trade-off using I'VE filtered juice instead of legit pasteurized.

I'll let you know what comes of this.

Back