Acceptable lager temperature band in CT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmance

Reaction score
Hi HBT!

Looking to hammer out my first lager. I would like to ferment outside. Can anyone provide a resource, or help me determine a good two week window with temps approx 50 degrees in glastonbury ct?

Appreciate the help!

PS. open to some KickA$$ AG lager recipes and yeast recomendations too! :rockin:

Is this a joke??? We live in CT. Don’t like the weather? Wait ten minutes and it will change. Probably be easier to figure out tonight’s Powerball numbers.:cross:

All joking aside there’s no way day and night temps will be stable enough to let your yeast do its job properly. Please others chime in per I’m no yeast expert.

IMO I would build some kind of installed box for inside your garage to control the temp. Sooner the better per we’re probably going to skip spring and jump right into summer temps with this never ending winter BS!

In a controlled environment it will be much easier to hit your target temps and gravity readings. Stuck fermentation or worse if you plan on leaving it outside with the changes in day to night temps. You can add frozen bottles of ice into the box, fans, shirt over the carboy acting like a wick in a water bucket and or heater if needed. Lots of ways to play with temps. Main thing is to keep it stable.

By the way I’m interested in a CT brew club. You in one or know of any?

Problem with outside is you will have temperature fluctuations. You may have daytime temps in the 50's but then temp in the 30's at night or you could have 5 days of 50's and the get a 70 degree day. Plus us you are doing outside in say a garage, just because it's 55 out today, the temp in the garage will be a lot cooler.

You are better off using a swamp cooler in a basement if you have one. Put the carboy in the cooler, add a couple inches of water, put a tshirt over the carboy so that it wicks up the water and then add frozen water bottles to try to hold temps around 50...and then just replace the frozen water bottles daily.

HA, I realize this does sound rediculous.

A swamp cooler may be best.

I would put it in a garage out of direct sunlight. But i thought i read something once about a temperature window in April where nights didnt go below like 46 and days above 55. I could be imagining things though.

I checked the farmers almanac but my work cpu was being glitchy.

No CT brew club but I would also be interested. I guess I dont really understand what they are. Is it a way to buy bulk grain? Do we brew together or just drink each others beer? It would be cool to drink other peoples beer and buy bulk grain. Would we get sweet leather vests with patches and crap?

I used to do a lot of brewing. then kids took over my life.:drunk:

Now I am jumping back in and putting a 3 keg system together. Would def be interested in brewing, drinking, and BSing with other local homebrewers. i'd be willing to host brew days/nights.

I'm in Middlebury

I'm in a club that meets in east Hartford every month. I live in Manchester. We drink and talk beer for a couple of hours each month. If you go to the aha website they have a list of all home brew clubs. Ours is the focct. As far as lager brewing I brew during the colder months( January, February) and lager in my basement. It stays within 3 degrees of 45 which is good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back