AC Dimmer w/ DC fan???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrotmalt

Reaction score
First off, I don't know beans about electronics. As part one of my DIY stir plate attempt, I connected a DC power supply directly to an old computer fan as I've seen done here in several threads. Runs like a champ. I planned on getting a DC rheostat from Radio-shack to control the speed, but I have an unused light dimmer switch in the garage. My question is:

Can I run an AC dimmer switch in line to vary the speed of a DC fan, or am I going to burn the house down?

I figured I'd ask rather than make assumptions in case it's the later.:eek:

AC, DC, it doesn't matter with resistance.

EDIT: BAD INFO BELOW.....
The dimmer is targeted to handle 120V so you may find that the adjustment is 10X coarser than you want it to be.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll give it a shot when I get home.

Don't use an A/C dimmer switch with a DC load, it's not going to work. Dimmer switches are not simple resistors, they are a circuit which relies on the voltage alternating in order to work.

More info here:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/dimmer-switch2.htm

You're right. It didn't work. I guess a trip to Radio-shack is in order. Good news is the house survived ;).

My bad carrotmalt...
Funny enough the only dimmer I've messed with is in my house, which was built in the 40's...
Thanks for the info GNBrews, I should have known that!

Back