Absurdly High Markup on Beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still pretty new to drinking better beer (a year) and obviously even newer to homebrewing (6 mos.), but it's very hard for me imagine myself doing much chasing down and overpaying for special releases.

Maybe that'll change at some point, but there are just so many fantastic beers out there at decent prices that it's hard to see the point. Not to mention, a nice APA or IPA is generally "good enough" to satisfy me.

I've never even seen any of the highest rated and hard to find DIPA's around here. Obviously, I'm ignorant on the issue, but is a Hopslam really that much better than a Gubna or Hop Wallop?

I'd never question what people choose to spend money on, especially when I'm so ignorant on the issue, but it just seems odd to essentially have bidding wars when great beer is so plentiful.

I should also add that I'm cheap by nature. I love decent bourbon and whiskey, but still refuse to pay more than $30 for a bottle because the selection of under $30 stuff is so wonderful.

The price of quality micros is only going to go up and up. There is such a focus on limited releases/barrel aging/vertical style offerings that its only natural for prices to get out of whack with reality. A lot of people in the industry are predicting "wine like pricing" in the future.

Another issue is lots of breweries like maintaining the size and output they are currently at and don't want to expand too much. It gives them a better control over the product and keeps them more true to the "craft brewery" designation. Meanwhile, demand only increases. I know personally that avery and great divide are much harder to find in pa/nj then they used to be and that it stems from supply issues.

The upside is hopefully quality breweries will be so numerous that everyone has access to great brews.

Back