About to keg, film on beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psylocide

Ippons for Days
Reaction score
Hey all... usually my pride/ego/what-have-you would prevent me from asking such a stupid question, but I pulled the lid off my beer (first time using a bucket... smh), and there is this weird film on top of it.

It doesn't look like any of the infections I've seen before. I didn't have time to snap a pic on my lunch break, but am wondering what I should do?

Hopefully I can upload a pic after work, because it's really weird looking. No bubbles, just a really thick film and all concentrated in one spot.

Should I get out a different siphon for this one? Also, any input as to what it might be would be appreciated. It smelled normal, but again, just super weird thick growth right in the middle of the bucket on top of the beer.

TIA

Oh fawk dude.. sorry to hear. That wasn't your smoked porter was it? Sucks. Stop breaking your beer so you can send me a good one. Also, pix or can't help ya.

Oh fawk dude.. sorry to hear. That wasn't your smoked porter was it? Sucks. Stop breaking your beer so you can send me a good one. Also, pix or can't help ya.

It is, and yes... I know I need a pic for at least some idea.

Definitely not yeast rafts or hot/cold break. Just funky looking, I can't even begin to describe it in a way that would translate well, basically what I said.

Thick looking growth right in the middle, but doesn't extend to all sides. No strings, no bubbles.

Keg it!!!!! Try and leave the 'slick' behind when you do.

I will try. And, quite honestly, might not be that hard. Like I said, I've never seen anything like it.

I poked it and the whole growth seemed connected?

That would creep me out, just knowing it had something funky on it. It really doesn't smell weird?

That's why I posted. And no, not at all.

It is, and yes... I know I need a pic for at least some idea.

Definitely not yeast rafts or hot/cold break. Just funky looking, I can't even begin to describe it in a way that would translate well, basically what I said.

Thick looking growth right in the middle, but doesn't extend to all sides. No strings, no bubbles.

It's definitely infected. How long did it stay in the bucket? Sometimes a ton of headspace after fermentation ends can create problems, especially if the bucket is opened and then reclosed.

It's safe to drink, and maybe there won't even be much of a flavor impact, at least not for a while. I would really bleach the bucket and lid, and anything else that touched the beer, and rinse well of course, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it much if it tastes ok. I would use different equipment (siphon, tubing, beerline, etc) if you have it available.

It's definitely infected. How long did it stay in the bucket? Sometimes a ton of headspace after fermentation ends can create problems, especially if the bucket is opened and then reclosed.

It's safe to drink, and maybe there won't even be much of a flavor impact, at least not for a while. I would really bleach the bucket and lid, and anything else that touched the beer, and rinse well of course, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it much if it tastes ok. I would use different equipment (siphon, tubing, beerline, etc) if you have it available.

Thanks Yooper.

I know it's safe to drink... but was pretty excited about this one, I'd hate to think it's been infected.

It's been in the bucket for 3 weeks (1.071 OG) and I took one gravity sample a week ago, which was sitting at 1.021... about what I expected.

And that's the thing, I only opened it once. I wanted to keg it after work and was going to pull a sample and that's what I found.

I have no idea what it could be. I've never had an infection.

Thanks Yooper.

I know it's safe to drink... but was pretty excited about this one, I'd hate to think it's been infected.

It's been in the bucket for 3 weeks (1.071 OG) and I took one gravity sample a week ago, which was sitting at 1.021... about what I expected.

And that's the thing, I only opened it once. I wanted to keg it after work and was going to pull a sample and that's what I found.

I have no idea what it could be. I've never had an infection.

I know that many brewers will tell you that keeping brews in buckets for weeks and weeks is ok- and oftentimes it is. But once fermentation slows/stops, opening it and closing it again and then opening it again a week later can allow some microbes to take hold. Oxidation can be a factor as well.

Now, I'm a bucket user, nearly 100% of the time, so I'm not a "bucket hater". But that is one of the limitations of a bucket if you are doing multiple gravity checks or things like dryhopping multiple times once fermentation stops. That's because the protective c02 being produced during fermentation can be displaced by oxygen, and allow the start of infection. Often it's not a problem, but sometimes it is. You don't usually see the start of (unintended) pellicles in a topped up carboy or in a beer that's only been in a bucket 10 days, especially if it's not been opened.

Anyone else have any ideas on what this growth might be? Got some weird colors going on almost... right in the middle.

Cant give any ideas without pix. If it tastes fine then keg it. Clean/sanitize your racking cane well and it'll be fine.

I know, I guess I thought the description would make someone go 'Oh! I've seen that before!' or something like that.

Really not a noob brewer (as you should probably know) and wouldn't be asking if I didn't think it wasn't the weirdest thing I've seen growing on beer.

Post up a pic. If you have, I'm not seeing it on my end.

I haven't... went over that in the OP, I popped off the top on lunch to take a sample and saw that, sealed it back up and basically had to run out the door.

Anything abnormal about the recipe that couldve coagulated with some byproduct during fermentation and floated to the top?

Id maybe try to skim it off, wait another day, and see if it comes back. Take a taste sample while youre at it

I haven't... went over that in the OP, I popped off the top on lunch to take a sample and saw that, sealed it back up and basically had to run out the door.

If you get the chance, post one up. I'm sure I'm not the only one curious to what infection your beer has.

Anything abnormal about the recipe that couldve coagulated with some byproduct during fermentation and floated to the top?

Id maybe try to skim it off, wait another day, and see if it comes back. Take a taste sample while youre at it

Nothing I can think of.

2-row, rauchmalt, Chocolate, black patent

2 packs notty, rehydrated.

Process has been the same as my last umpteen brews.

Pictures or it didn't happen :tank:

Trust me, I know the phrase all to well. I just didn't have time, and probably shouldn't have been messing with it in the first place.

Again, thought my description might jog someone's memory or something. I'll get a pic up just as soon as I get back home.

I don't want to have to bleach a keg or something.

A picture will help to see if it is infected. However, a specific type of infection cannot be identified by a pellicle.

If it looks like a pellicle then it is infected. If it is some other weirdness then someone might be able to identify that.

I don't know if film was even the right term.

Just a massive island in the middle.

I have seen some strange stuff. Like the time I opened my fermenter and saw what looked like someone chopped up a head of cauliflower and dumped it it. hahhaaha.

Like this.

image.jpg

And here I thought that was the OP's pic. That looks like flocc'ed yeast and stubborn krausen, not infection. But not the OP's, so irrelevant.

Without pics, it's hard to tell.

.................I don't want to have to bleach a keg or something.

Shouldn't have to. I wouldn't use bleach as it's been suggested bleach will cause pitting in stainless steel. I think a good cleaning/sanitizing should do the trick. Worst case scenario, you'll have to change the seals in your keg, which is no biggie.

And here I thought that was the OP's pic. That looks like flocc'ed yeast and stubborn krausen, not infection. But not the OP's, so irrelevant.

Without pics, it's hard to tell.

I know, I know.

It looks super thick though... almost like a scoby or something.

I'll be getting a pic first thing.

Why do I get the feeling most of the usuals are just giving you a hard time with the whole pic thing?

Not a long thread, but now I'm really interested to see what this thing looks like after reading it. Can't wait.

Hey all... usually my pride/ego/what-have-you would prevent me from asking such a stupid question....

I think it's great that you have the stones to ask away! Even experienced brewers can get an infection or have something growing in their beer that they haven't seen before. In no way does it diminish from your brewing expertise. We know you are an experienced brewer and have definitely contributed to this forum. You are contributing right now as well. Life happens sometimes. Heck the yeast could have not been pure and had something mixed in with it, that you pitched, which does sometimes happen. Or something could have jumped in during the gravity sample. The main thing is we all can learn from your situation and because you didn't let your ego get in the way and you did decide to post it, I applaud you! Please post a pic if you can so we can see what you had and maybe you, and all of us can get a better answer. Thank you! :mug:

John

HAHAHAHAHAHA oh my god. You're good kid, you're real good.

hahaha now I hope you get an infection in your keg. You know, for karma's sake.

Well here goes nothing. Kind of a ****ty pic.

Like I said, not sure what happened or if it's even salvageable. Sucks to know all that hard work might have gone down the drain, but I do know that I've never seen anything like it.

View attachment 340146

Bastard.

I'll kick you in the bollocks.

lol.

well played.

Back