about to keg and confused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTBrewer

Reaction score
I've read as much as I can about this on here but am very confused on the regulator and check valve. I'm attaching a picture.

I have two kegs filled with starsan right now (pin lock cornys). they came reeking of soda so i cleaned them, rised for a while and now lids and o-rings are sanitizing. so far so good.

Here is my confusion. I'm including a picture of my regulator with extra body and check valves. (thisis not the tank that came with the system, but its much heavier than the one that did so i hope it will carb these kegs up over night, but i digress)

mysystem.jpg

So I think I do this.

1. Turn valve on co2 clockwise to close.
2. Dont know what to do with screw on either body.
3. Don't know what to do with check valve on either body
4. Hook up beer line
5. Hook up gas line.
6. turce co2 on
7. check valve now quarter turn until pointing right? left?
8. turn middle screw to desired PSI

would love some help, no instructions. and i may have emptied the co2 tank anyway now that i lift it up.. ooops.

The way you have it pictured, the check valves are probably open (on my set-up, facing the tube is open). I would close them before hooking up the lines. Other than that, you are dead on except for #7. Do your check valves go both ways? If so, both should close them, otherwise, whichever way they turn should be the way that closes them. I leave mine fully open when the beer is connected. All control of the gas should be done with the gauges.

Thanks guys. And yes, my check valves are swingers and go both ways. So no need to do anything with the center screw before starting air flow? I suppose it doesn't matter with the check valve closed.

I have the same reg. Just used it for the first time. Swing the check valves the whole way to one side. You can then turn on the tank and adjust to the needed PSI using the screw and the little release valve on top. After you do that you can open the check valve and it will pressurize your keg to that PSI. It really is much easier than it looks.

you might also want to put the piece zip tied on there between the reg and the tank to give it a better seal.

Feel free to correct me if im giving bad information. I'm new to this too.

First off congrats on your set up you won’t be disappointed.

That plastic disk that is zip tied to your regulator, it’s a gasket. The gasket goes inside that brass nut that screws on the CO2 tank.
#1- yes
#2- ? If you mean the silver screw it regulates your pressure.
#3-Check valve, I think you mean the pressure relief valves that are at a 45 degree angle. It’s just a safety feature.
#4-yes
#5-yes
#6-yes
#7-These are your ball valves and they are in the open position in the picture. To close them turn left or right. I would start off with them closed until you have adjusted the regulator to the appropriate pressure.
#8-Yes the silver middle screw adjusts your pressure.

Read a few of the stickies on the bottling/kegging page, there is lots of good info there.

Thanks all, there was a washer in the beat up unusable regulator I inherited that i pried out. Thought I'd gotten jipped. Thanks for pointing out where the are. duh.

Fail.

Everything hooks up fine, but when i start to allow air flow there is massive leak between the two bodies. Came preassembled and I don't have a wrench to fit in there and see if its misthreaded. at least the kegs till be cold in the morning when i can get to my toolbox.

Turns out gauges were broken and what i thought was a leak was just me turning the screw about 5 more times after the needle got stuck at 20. backed it off to zero, up to 20 again then a little extra. hope its at 35 (one stops at 18, i can see where the dial is popped out), I guess i'll just back them to 10 tomorrow and see whats up.

chudnow gauges, don't appear to pop off.

Back