About to bottle my 1st all grain brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewLou

Reaction score
But 1st I have a couple questions...

I put it in the carboy on Monday and it stopped bubbling around Wed. Thurs I notices some very mild (what looked like bubbles from fermenting) remaining on top. Since Thurs they have grown to look like this...

2012-03-02_10-07-59_932.jpg

Up close I can see very small air bubbles in some of them still, so I am hoping it is leftover yeast...

Can anyone confirm this for me, or please let me know if it is something to worry about.

Also, my plan for bottling was to add the sugar to the carboy, stir, and bottle from there. With this stuff sitting on top, is it ok to still follow this method, or should I siphon into a bottling bucket and leave that stuff out of it?

Thanks for any help in advance. I searched on here, but I guess I am to paranoid. None of the picture I found looked "exactly" what I thought I was looking at in my carboy.

Those bubbles are fine, your beer has some CO2 dissolved in it from the fermentation and it is bubbling out a bit.

Take a good look at your carboy. See that off white layer of trub in the bottom? If you add your priming sugar and stir it up to mix it, all that trub will be stirred up too and will end up in your bottle.

Don't be in a hurry to bottle this. Give it a minimum of 2 weeks in the fermenter and then take a hydrometer sample to be sure it has completely fermented out. Take another sample in a couple more days and if they match you can bottle.

Siphon it into a bottling bucket and leave the trub behind. Dissolve your priming sugar into a bit of boiling water (for sanitization but mostly to get it to dissolve). Let it cool a bit, start siphoning your beer and when you have an inch or more of it in the bucket slowly pour the priming solution into it so you get good mixing.

Thank you for the info. Just for my FYI, when I take the air lock out, do I need to put fresh solution in it when I check my SG?

Back