Abita's wrought iron ipa? Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerenstein

Reaction score
Was checking out abita's website, and just saw that a local place now has their wrought iron ipa. I've never experienced an ipa, since I live in the middle of BUSCHLAND USA... it's an hours drive just to buy a good beer besides fat tire... what should I expect when I go grab a beer after work today?

Wow, well, IPA'S are hoppy. Not sure about that one in particular but keep an open mind. It could be very bitter or very florally, cutrusy.. I fell in love with craft beer all over again when I had my first ipa, still remember what and where I had i, enjoy :)

Ok, open mind will be had. I have another hour before I knock off work, so I'm stuck waiting... any others want to chime in?

I tried it for the first time the other day- I tend to like Abita's hoppier beers, and I liked this one quite a bit.

Very nice! I also begged a lotto and beer store owner one town over to order some abita turbodog. Just re-check ed the website and they're listed as having it too. THE DELIMMA!
I think I'll go buy a 6er of turbodog, then go check out the wrought iron lol.

Very southern alabama. On the Florida border. My first taste of a decent brown ale was homebrewed by myself. My 2nd brew was an all grain porter that's bottle aging now , I'm trying to check out other styles to see what I'll brew next.

mostly AB, MILLER, AND COORS people round here...

How close to pensacola are you? If you're this direction of the border our selection is getting pretty good. Not like big city areas, but getting much better.

I've had it. It is a grapefruit bomb.

The nose is like a different beer. Tropical fruit hops smell, mango, orange etc. When I opened it and smelled it, I though it might taste like Cigar City's Jai Alai, but the taste is all grapefruit.

Having said that, it wasn't bad by any means.

I've had it. It is a grapefruit bomb.

The nose is like a different beer. Tropical fruit hops smell, mango, orange etc. When I opened it and smelled it, I though it might taste like Cigar City's Jai Alai, but the taste is all grapefruit.

Having said that, it wasn't bad by any means.

I'll have to check it out. Didn't get a chance yesterday. Family stuff happened... oh well, I tried one of my all grain porters and it's shaping up very nicely!

How close to pensacola are you? If you're this direction of the border our selection is getting pretty good. Not like big city areas, but getting much better.

Pensacola is the 1 hours drive I mentioned, lol. Going down tonight to hang with some friends. Gonna stop by hopjacks and grab a growler of something on my way lol. Hopefully garys will be open tomorrow so I can buy some more ingredients. .. I'm the only homebrewed I know other than people on the Internet lol.

I dig all Abita's IPAs. Their spring IPA was fantastic when I had it a couple years ago. Nice light, crisp, feel with lots of resin hop flavor. I'll be on the lookout for this wrought iron IPA!

Turbo Dog was one of my favorite beers for a looooong time. Can never go wrong with it!

So I had several ipa's last night. New Belgium ranger, Sam adams rebel, and Sweetwater ipa. The ranger taste straight up grapefruit tasting. .. holy hell, it's definitely not my thing. Sam adams was actually ok. Sweetwater was alright too. I guess I'm just not really into ipa's at this point lol.

So I had several ipa's last night. New Belgium ranger, Sam adams rebel, and Sweetwater ipa. The ranger taste straight up grapefruit tasting. .. holy hell, it's definitely not my thing. Sam adams was actually ok. Sweetwater was alright too. I guess I'm just not really into ipa's at this point lol.

I think the best out of those is def the Rebel IPA. I don't think it's too bad either.
I had a few sweetwater beers at the Charleston SC airport on a layover one time. They were ok. Not bad but they didn't blow my socks off or anything. I'd take a good ole Sammy A over those any day.

I enjoyed a few wrought iron IPAs on tap last month when I was with family down at Brennan's Jazz Kitchen at Downtown Disney (CA). I was really impressed! Would definitely drink again.

I enjoyed a few wrought iron IPAs on tap last month when I was with family down at Brennan's Jazz Kitchen at Downtown Disney (CA). I was really impressed! Would definitely drink again.

I finally made it to the bar, and drank all 18 they had in stock, lol. Not all in one night, of course. It was a really good beer, though. I've liked all abita's I've tried so far (except purple haze, but I'd probably like it now).

Back