Aaron and the terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad brew-day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeeppilot

Reaction score
First I woke up and started filling my kettle, having just disassembled and cleaned all valves, threaded fittings, etc, then reassembled them yesterday. I began doing a leak check first and ALL my fittings leaked. I didn’t have any newer o-rings to try so I went to scavenge from my Igloo MLT only to realize the whole cooler had cracked when my shelf fell and dumped all my vessels on the garage floor. But that o-ring was the wrong size. I guess I’ll just let it drip today. I could tell I was going to be a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad brew-day.

Next I realized my spare propane tank was empty so I had to go get some more since my first tank was near empty. When I got back, I picked up my (Megapot) kettle lid and the handle broke off. Then I accidentally bumped into the work table that my Refractometer was on and knocked it off and now the sight line is crooked. I think I’ll move to Australia.

Because my Refractometer had dropped and was crooked, I’m not sure my gravity readings were correct. I measured a sessionable 1.040 pre-boil gravity which was higher than I expected and then I measured exactly the same 1.040 gravity after boiling off 1.5 gallons. I took the reading three times. I’m definitely moving to Australia.

Then, while pouring cleaning solution from my glass carboy that I have had for 5 years, it slipped and I dropped that too and it shattered and dumped all the water out over my feet. It was a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad brew-day.

I told my wife all about it and she said that some brew-days are like that, even in Australia.

As the old saying goes...

Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you.

Sounds like you were the bear food today, buddy! Sorry you had a bad day but seems like you kept your sense of humor and will live to brew another day!

On the plus side - you broke a carboy and didn’t lose a finger or a slice of flesh! That alone would be a blessing!!

On the plus side - you broke a carboy and didn’t lose a finger or a slice of flesh! That alone would be a blessing!!

Besides that you got rid of the carboy before it killed or maimed you. Replace it with a plastic bucket, much safer and less likely to be dropped with the handle to move it with.

Australian brew days can be worse. There are a lot of critters in Australia that are out to kill you. Gotta watch your brewing and watch your back at the same time.

I DID want to get rid of that glass carboy, just not in that fashion. Did NOT want to have to buy a new refractometer though. Funny thing through it all, was the actual brew process itself went very smoothly and I expect a good product, even if I can’t say accurately what my ABV is. Like my taste buds care about that!

Australian brew days can be worse. There are a lot of critters in Australia that are out to kill you. Gotta watch your brewing and watch your back at the same time.

I imagine there are. Best keep your pants tucked into your boots! I assume you live there? Out of curiosity, is the book which I played on a story that is read down there?

Out of curiosity, is the book which I played on a story that is read down there?

Alexander and the terrible, horrible, not good, very bad day was/is most certainly read down here. I remember reading it to my kids years ago.

I DID want to get rid of that glass carboy, just not in that fashion. Did NOT want to have to buy a new refractometer though. Funny thing through it all, was the actual brew process itself went very smoothly and I expect a good product, even if I can’t say accurately what my ABV is. Like my taste buds care about that!

I imagine there are. Best keep your pants tucked into your boots! I assume you live there? Out of curiosity, is the book which I played on a story that is read down there?

Oh goodness no. I live in northern Minnesota where all I have to worry about are bears, wolves, and cougars. Here's one of them in my front yard, about 30 yards from my front door.

Back