Aaaah!! Didn't boil my priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbigbum

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch yesterday and just realized I didn't boil the priming sugar. Just dumped it dry into the bottling bucket. What's going to happen?

Maybe nothing, maybe inconsistant carbonation or at worst bottle bombs. There's really no-way to know. You just at this point need to wait it out for 3 weeks and see what happens. But I would isolate the beers in something like a rubbermade bin in case some of them go boom.

Guess, you won't be doing that again. ;)

Do you have a rough idea of which case and/or which bottle came from which part of the bottling process? Do you know which you filled first, that might have the most sugar and which came later? It might be worth kinda monitoring that to see what happens to the beers.

My first few batches I just racked on top of the priming sugar. Had no ill effects as the sugar was sealed. Yeah I risked an infection, but i figure the turbulance of the beer ontop of the sugar probably dissolved it reasonably well. +1 on containing the bottles in case of overpressurization, but you should be ok. Just mark it down as something to improve next time. Cheers and welcome to our addiction.

Do you have a rough idea of which case and/or which bottle came from which part of the bottling process? Do you know which you filled first, that might have the most sugar and which came later? It might be worth kinda monitoring that to see what happens to the beers.

I had 12 22 oz bottles I filled up first, a couple 12 oz in between. That would really bite if some of the 22 oz bottles blew. :(

My first few batches I just racked on top of the priming sugar. Had no ill effects as the sugar was sealed. Yeah I risked an infection, but i figure the turbulance of the beer ontop of the sugar probably dissolved it reasonably well. +1 on containing the bottles in case of overpressurization, but you should be ok. Just mark it down as something to improve next time. Cheers and welcome to our addiction.

Pretty much all the sugar was dissolved. Only a tiny bit left on the bottom of the bucket after I had finished bottling. Which is how I realized today that I should have boiled and dissolved the sugar when I went back to re-read the bottling process to see if anyone else had sugar left over.

Back