Aaaah! (Anglo-American Aromatic Amber Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfsido

Reaction score
Batch Size: 5.50 gal Style: American Amber Ale ()
Boil Size: 3.34 gal Style Guide: BJCP 1999
Color: 13.2 SRM Equipment: Pot ( 3 Gal/11.4 L) - Extract
Bitterness: 23.0 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.050 (12.3° P) Mash Profile: BIAB, Medium Body
Est FG: 1.014 SG (3.6° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 4.7%

1 lbs 4.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 2
8.0 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4
2 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 5
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 70 min Hops 6
0.2 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 30 min Hops 7
1 lbs Golden Light Dry Extract [Boil for 15 min] (8.0 SRM) Grain 8
3 lbs 4.8 oz Maris Otter Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] (8.0 SRM) Grain 9
0.2 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 5 min Hops 10
1 pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) Yeast 11
4.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 7 days) Misc 12

This recipe turned out very well; did a mini mash with 3 gallons of water at 156; my temperature varied somewhat, but I think I got the desired effect.
This is on the browner end of "Amber", but I cold crashed it and it's quite bright. The foam is creamy-white, with good lacing and head retention.
The aroma is raisiny, malty and woody, with vanilla and whisky overtones.
The finish is quite dry, but the maltiness and vanilla give an overall impression of restrained sweetness. The oak and malt flavors fit together like a hand in a glove. I used medium toast chips, although I'm sure you could easily make an imperial version of this by upping the specialty grains and adding darker oak chips.

I chose Centennial hops because they provide a pleasant bitterness that isn't overwhelming. You could dry hop this recipe if you want more hop flavor (this has relatively little overt hop character). I happened to have some smoked dried cherries from a trade show, and I put one each into a couple of the bottles; the results were outstanding. This could be a good base beer for a chili beer, as long as you didn't overdo it.

I would love to have someone try this recipe for themselves and get feedback. This was a great Fall/Winter brew, and I'm sure I'll be brewing it again. It's a great session beer that pairs well with food.

Back