A Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemarc

Reaction score
I have a True Brew California Common extract kit I was thinking of brewing today. They yeast that was in the kit is a Saflager S-23. I looked on the website, and all I could find out was that this is definately a lager yeast. Should I still use it in the California, or I could wait till tomorrow and pitch a Wyeast 1056 in a starter. How is this lager yeast different than an Ale yeast?

It's a good yeast to use if you can get the temp down to the lower 60's. i THINK California Common are ales that use Lager yeasts.

Put a wet towel around the carboy and a fan on it to lower the temp.

I have a True Brew California Common extract kit I was thinking of brewing today. They yeast that was in the kit is a Saflager S-23. I looked on the website, and all I could find out was that this is definately a lager yeast. Should I still use it in the California, or I could wait till tomorrow and pitch a Wyeast 1056 in a starter. How is this lager yeast different than an Ale yeast?

California Common is a style of ale fermented with a lager yeast. Wyeast 1056 wouldn't be the correct yeast for it- that would be too "clean" and neutral. I actually bought the San Francisco lager yeast for making these so-called Steam beers.

A steam beer came about because the early brewers in California wanted to brew lagers so used lager yeast, but didn't have the ability to keep it cool like a true lager. So they used lager yeast at ale temperatures.

I've never used s-23, so I have no idea how that would be at room temperature. If you could ferment it at 60 degrees or so, that might give you acceptable results.

I can keep it at 62 or less, so I'll give it a try. Thanks for the responses!

Back