A sanitizing and fermentation question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewatDrews

Reaction score
We are doing primary and secondary fermentation and I am wondering what you guys do to sanitize. Its our second batch and we have been mainly just swirling the sanitized water in the primary bucket and carboy. Do you recommend letting everything soak in the sanitizing solution? Do you also typically boil the added water, to clean it, before adding it to the boiled wort?

Fermentation question: for our second batch we used a liquid yeast, I believe it was called Activator, well after 2 days it made the primary ferm. bucket lid pop off because there was so much fermentation. Is there something that we did wrong?

Thank you for your help!

Recommendations for the type of sanitizer vary. Read the label as most will tell the contact time needed to work properly. There's not really a broad statement that can be made.

I never boil the top-off water.

Blowing the top off the fermenter is just a stepping stone in the world of beer making. Mopping your ceiling is something that has happened quite a bit. I'm guessing your airlock clogged, but that can be solved with a blow-off tube. Run a search for blow-off and you should get some pretty good info.

oh, welcome to HBT

I soak everything for at least 10 minutes in a starsan solution. I also fill a spray bottle (got it at Target for $1) with the solution and spray down my working area. I have not had a sanitation issue to date.
Sounds like you had a healthy fermentation. use the search and type in blow off to see how most folks handle a strong fermentation.

Yes sanitize everthing that the beer comes in contact with with "sanitizer" (right) not sanitized water.
Some people boil top off water and some don't. Probably ok to not boil if you have city water (but I would carbon filter it to get the chlorine out)

Oh yes: ACTIVATOR - one of my favorite yeasts :D

just kidding - Activator is a class of product made by Wyeast, the actual name of the yeast is usually laser printed on one corner of the foil packet and has a serial number attached to it by which most of us refer to the yeast in question. Eg. american ale - 1056 etc.

Also, Activator isn't the yeast strain, it's just a type of packaging. The Activator pack contains around 100 billion yeast cells, as well as a bit of nutrient that acts as a mini-starter. With all liquid yeast (including the Activator and Propagator smack-packs) benefit greatly from a starter. They are easy enough to make, and will reduce lag time and possible off flavors from underpitching.

Now days I use idophor and rinse out my fermenter or keg with boiled water. In the old days I used bleach and rinsed everything tap water. I also used to use tap water for top off. Now i just don't top off. I just ferment whatever comes out of the kettle.

Back