A rough brew day...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signpost

Reaction score
Well, it was a rough one. I was bottling one batch and brewing another to pitch onto the first batch's yeast cake.

The bottling went really smoothly, and I got just over 59 bottles out of the batch.

The batch I was brewing had a pretty simple grain bill, except that I was using about 3 lbs. of raw spelt. I read a bunch about how to handle the spelt. Some said a single infusion mash works fine, others said you need to do a cereal mash. I went for the cereal mash, since I had never done one before. Things were going pretty well until the lauter/sparge.

Stuck.

ugh.

And not just kind of stuck and then OK after re-vorlaufing. Like stuck for real. Like no way it is getting unstuck.

A huge mess, a grain bag, another large piece of cheese-cloth, and a lot of frustration later, I finally got some wort in a kettle and on a burner.

When they say using some rice hulls with spelt after a cereal mash is a good idea, they mean it.

Luckily, my scrambling efforts paid off and my OG going into the fermenter was only a little short of the estimated OG. It got pitched onto a sour yeast cake with brewery Vivant & Jolly Pumpkin dregs, so it'll still attenuate down to 1.000 or lower to bring the ABV to about 7.5% or so. I'm perfectly happy with that.

Easily my most frustrating brew day in a long time. Last time I had this much go wrong was when I first started trying BIAB. That's probably three years ago, so I guess I was due for a disaster.

In the end, everything is fine. My back and feet hurt a little more than normal, but the beer should still be good.

I think many of us have had a hard brew day. You made beer, I bet. It sounds like you did recover well. This will probably be one of your best beers yet.

Back