A Question of Headaches after some hard cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vnzjunk

Reaction score
Headaches after drinking some craft or homebrew beer have not been an issue for me in ages. I was told by several people that they would not drink draft beer in a bar because it gave them headaches. And I found that often it did the same to me. Leave the bar after a few with lunch and by the time I would get home I would have a deep in the back of the head headache.
This disappeared when I started homebrewing my own beer and eventually started kegging it. Not an issue. Ever. Drink 1 or 3 or more. No headaches. Good to go.

Yesterday myself and a friend attended a Hard Cider tap takeover at a local micro-brewery. I had 6 4oz sample glasses of various flavors of craft cider brewed locally. About a pint and a half and most of them were 8% abv. Before I even got home that long ago rear of the head headache started. Once I got home I waited to see if it would go away on its own and finally took a couple of aspirins to eliminate it. And after a half an hour it did.

I was told once that it was the Co2 in the beer which caused the headaches. But there is Co2 in my own homebrew minus any of those effects. So

I was wondering what others thought about Headaches and why none from Homebrewed beer (even bar craft draft) yet the Hard Cider brought them on.

Maybe just a coincidence but I think not.

Do you know anything about the level of sulfites, if any, that were added to the cider?

Sulfites cause me joint pain, almost immediately, it's one of the reasons I home brew. I don't notice a 1/4 tablet of Campden in a 5gal batch, but higher concentrations cause me joint pain.

Getting a visual in my mind of Gilligan being slapped in the back of the head buy skipper. I'm on board with the sulfite idea myself

Do you know anything about the level of sulfites, if any, that were added to the cider?

Sulfites cause me joint pain, almost immediately, it's one of the reasons I home brew. I don't notice a 1/4 tablet of Campden in a 5gal batch, but higher concentrations cause me joint pain.

No I don't. It is a commercial operation and I assume they are using things like that (I seem to remember those tablets from my wine making days way back before BEER).

BTW I have tried a lot of things for arthritic pain and gout through the years. What has worked very well for me. Fresh Spinach, Fish Oil Tabs and mild exercise. Plenty of stretching. Just my experience.

Getting a visual in my mind of Gilligan being slapped in the back of the head buy skipper. I'm on board with the sulfite idea myself

That is a possibility. I am not a big wine drinker and haven't had hardly any in years but I seem to remember that could bring the headaches on also.
Thanks for the reminder LOL

Before I started brewing myself, I noticed that home brewed beers given to me by a friend did not cause me joint pain. Later I got some from him that did. I asked him if there was any difference (I already suspected sulfites because of the reaction I get to wine), and he said he had added sulfites to help keep the beer fresh (same reason it is added to wine).

Back