A question from a newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WARoberson

Reaction score
Got a question for the experts out there.....I am new to brewing (about to brew my first batch of extract). i have been watching any internet tutorials I can find and have been reading Papazian's book. My question is, i recently watched an extract tutorial done by Jim Koch of Samual Adams. In his tutorial, after he does his 3 gallon boil, he moves the liquid to the fermenter. he says that he adds 2 gallons to the fermenter to go with the 3 gallons for his 5 gallon batch, but he freezes the 2 gallons in the fermenter. Is this a good idea, to deep freeze the 2 gallons in the plastic bucket (I don't think Koch would steer a home brewer astray since that is how he started)? I am assuming the reason behind this is for the rapid wort cool down. I took this to mean that he did the wort on ice instead of an ice bath or immersion chiller. The idea looks like a good one for a newbie brewer who hasn't purchased an immersion chiller and to prevent potential contamination during the ice bath. Just looking for pros and cons to this method.

Cheers,
Archie

Welcome to the obsession!

When I did my first few brews I did the same thing... I totally watched that Koch video :D

Your best bet is to get an immersion chiller but if the budget isn't there yet the ice is fine, just make sure you boil the water for about 5 minutes before you freeze it to ensure it's sanitized.

EDIT: Beat me to it, kh54s10

You could freeze water in your fermentor, freeze water in ziplocs sanitize the outside and drop them in, add to the hot wort, put your boil kettle in an ice bath in the sink or bathtub, or you can even just put the lid on it and let it cool overnight. If you sanitize properly, you won't get an infection.

When I started brewing I was in the same boat. I have never "froze wort" After I was done boiling my extract wort. I filled up both of my sinks with cold water transferred the pot back and forth until the wort hit 70 degrees then pitched. Trust me brewing is really easy after you get the hang of it. I think eberyone is worried about there first brew session.

Cheers,

RandomBeerGuy

Back