A question for those that are using a chest freezer and temp controller.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsnownw

Reaction score
Have any of you had success with installing the temperature probe without drilling into the freezer? So, the question would pertain only to those that are using it as stock...without a collar.

I'm wondering if I can't just cut a small notch in the "weather stripping" around the lid and run the temp probe wire through that.

I'll be using the Johnson Controls A419.

Thanks in advance!

I do have a collar on mine and did drill a hole for the temp probe. But what you're asking about sounds perfect to me. That's how I would do it if I didn't have a collar. Another option would be drilling a hole in the lid since there shouldn't be any cooling lines or wiring running through there.

Depending on your weather stripping you may not even need to cut it if it fits tightly around the wire going to the probe.

I got "lucky" with my collar- the reclaimed wood I was using actually already had a worm-hole so I just ran the wire through that and then caulked it.

My setup has no mods for the probe, whatsoever. When the lid closes, the lid seal just sits on top of the probe wire.

In my pre-collar days, I just ran the cord between the lid and the freezer, and the weatherstripping sealed around it well enough for me.

+1 on just shutting the lid on it. The beauty of a chest freezer is that cold air sinks! You'll find your freezer won't even kick on just because you open the lid, so a tiny bend in the weather stripping has an extremely minimal effect!

I agree that cooling probably won't be impacted by just shutting the lid on your probe wire. However, you may see some moisture issues during the summer if your unit is in a garage and there is even a small opening between the lid and the freezer.

I also just run the wire between the lid and the box with no modifications and no problems.

I used a Racor controller then drill the upper most part of the chest freezer then you can put a gromet in if you want

I only use my chest freezer for a ferm-chamber, however for that use the probe wedged between the lid and base works just fine.

I have a Johnson controller, and just hang it in there in between the weather stripping. Doesnt smash it, no problems.

No cuts and no holes. I'm just mindful to work the wire flat when closing the lid. A notch in the stripping would let more air in, so less efficient.

ab_jun_15_2011_10.jpg

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back