A question about perfect machines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without the context there can be no meaningful answer. Perhaps that's your whole point?

there can be no meaningful answer.

And done! Smartest dude to show up here.

Just be sure to weld those spikes onto it like we discussed. :D

I've been thinking of sharpening the edge, greasing and angling the blade...stopping to clear the spikes could get annoying. I want to make good time...what do you think? :ban:

Little late to da party there...

I know this dude. Give him a chance, he may end up making sense of this whole thing:drunk:

Why all the focus on the machine as if it is responsible for its own design?

You are ignoring the risks if you believe that it is perfect. "Perfectly ignorant" isn't an oxymoron. "Perfect machine"="good enough"+"risk ignorance". Don't ignore the risks. Think of each design element in terms of (1) ways that it can fail and the effect of the failure, (2) probability of occurrence, and (3) controls that you already have to prevent, or react, to the failure. Rank each and use some math to get totals as an indication of risks that are too high to consider the machine as good enough. That is obviously way too formal for the task but hopefully provides the right mind set.

For the space shuttle Discovery, the theory of a leaky O ring was known after a test then ignored by those that mattered. They tried to launch with the belief that it was good enough. For the space Columbia, they knew that there was a failure while it was up in space. They believed that it was discussed enough to land. It was very unfortunate that the lesson about ignorance wasn't learned even after the Discovery disaster. The lessons learned had more to do with the people needing to avoid ignorance than mechanical engineering.

What did you do to prevent the leak and why did you fail?

Blaaa... Time for a beer. I hope I don't find that it is leaking.... again.

I'd drink a lot with you both. The only think I know for sure is that I'd wake up with a "perfect" hangover. And since I am not a perfect machine, I'd be leaking from somewhere:drunk:

At least I have 1-1/2 bathrooms... :D One on the first and one on the second floor.. :D I never drink enough to get sick. :rockin: By the time I have enough that I could, I'm already sleeping. :D

We'll see how the big one comes out. Might be worth you taking a trip out here to sample. Maybe even let you take some home with you. :eek: If the airline doesn't confiscate it as rocket fuel. lol

At least I have 1-1/2 bathrooms... :D One on the first and one on the second floor.. :D I never drink enough to get sick. :rockin: By the time I have enough that I could, I'm already sleeping. :D

We'll see how the big one comes out. Might be worth you taking a trip out here to sample. Maybe even let you take some home with you. :eek: If the airline doesn't confiscate it as rocket fuel. lol

I'm there too. A few and I get sleepy. Why the F am I still awake?

What airline? I'm coming with the truck/snowplow. I'll bring a trailer if you're gonna set me up;)

Too bad the world ends in three days.

Is this thread now completely derailed? I think my work here may be done.

What airline? I'm coming with the truck/snowplow. I'll bring a trailer if you're gonna set me up;)

Depends on if BobbiLynn comes back or not... :eek:

I think I have the perfect brew in my glass... :D

Yeah.... But would like to say before heading to bed, this topic was never about the actual machine, there are many machines... question was, do perfect things break? Or does that inherently make them not perfect?

Yeah.... But would like to say before heading to bed, this topic was never about the actual machine, there are many machines... question was, do perfect things break? Or does that inherently make them not perfect?

Here we go again... TAKE COVER!!! lol

Believe this has been covered already, yes?? Or do we need to go over it again?? :D

So you have your answer?

bobbilynn can't be real. No way. "She" is the most perfect troll ever to grace the internet.

What part isn't real? I put my picture under my profile...

If anyone does want to come see the woodsplitter, just don't let my hubby hear you call it that!!!

And lastly, back to the troll costumes, they are nearly done.

The picture of me that I posted under my profile does not exist anywhere on the Internet, well, unless it's someone saying it's me. I'm real.

Did you think I only existed in your mind?

To my partner in the troll duel:

In case you still do not understand, that's me sitting back looking at my computer, taking a break from work.

It's a Marlboro Light, trying to quit, but hey, you only live once right?

I don't smoke but I've heard you get a wicked buzz from nicotine.

To answer the original question and get even more obtuse. In an infinite universe everything its possible, right? All possibilities must be true. So if we assume the universe is infinite, then a perfect machine that leaks has to exist. There I answered it -without pot too.

If you don't believe in an infinite universe - never mind.

To answer the original question and get even more obtuse. In an infinite universe everything its possible, right? All possibilities must be true. So if we assume the universe is infinite, then a perfect machine that leaks has to exist. There I answered it -without pot too.

It's not infinate, it's just REALLY big... :D Oh, and it's expanding faster than your waist-line. :eek: :D

I think that is a compliment, because, mindless=drunken ramblings. Am I right? Do I get a cookie?

You're cut-off from cookies. We saw what you put in the last batch. :eek: Marlboro my ascii... :D

P.S. I did make up the part about Santa Claus.

You sure about that?? Never know with those chicks from FL... :D

An infinite universe would include both perfect and imperfect, because, ya know, it's infinite. So now I have a new question, does infinite mean it's perfect? Just because it runs forever, does that make it perfect?

It's not that there is an infinite universe, rather that there are an infinite number of universes.

Don't you guys keep up with astrophysics?

It's not that there is an infinite universe, rather that there are an infinite number of universes.

Don't you guys keep up with astrophysics?

So, you mean like, perfect ones and imperfection ones? Sorry, I have had time to keep up with astrophysics lately.

So, you mean like, perfect ones and imperfection ones? Sorry, I have had time to keep up with astrophysics lately.

They're all beautiful in the dark baby. :D

IMO, it's not possible to have a 'perfect universe'... Well, at least not perfect for those who inhabit it. Eventually, the universe will either fall to entropy, or another will form when the 'brane it is on collides with another.

Think, BIG badda boom. :eek: :D

I said I have had time, but meant I have not had time, or did I mean that other thing? Dang, why you all gotta keep getting me confused?

Back