A question about perfect machines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dan, wassup this fine Sunday eve? I'm just chillin' again, decided **** it, I'll get back to real work in the new year. Still brewing massive quantities of beer and gotta get my carboys freed up for the all grain... bottling before some are really ready but they didn't foam up, so hey, they are ready right?

Hey my friend. Glad you are feeling better. As far as your bottling goes, do I need to recite a Revvy post about final gravity and all that crap. You've been brewing awhile now. I'm sure you know when your beer is ready to bottle and when it is not.

Happy New Years to you girl! I'm looking forward to your posts, threads and talking with you.

Hey my friend. Glad you are feeling better. As far as your bottling goes, do I need to recite a Revvy post about final gravity and all that crap. You've been brewing awhile now. I'm sure you know when your beer is ready to bottle and when it is not.

Happy New Years to you girl! I'm looking forward to your posts, threads and talking with you.

I don't do that, gravity tests.... I know you are supposed to and all... but I brew the same ole **** over and over, I know when it's ready by appearance and taste. I will use my neglected hydrometer for my first all grain batch though. 'Til I get it perfected.

Hey BobbiLynn

Tell us about your all grain set-up.

Umm... propane burner and big pot... gonna cool it in the river using a dolly to get it there. Is there something else I need?

Mash tun.. you need something to put the crushed grain in and extract the golden sweetness out of it.

Mash tun.. you need something to put the crushed grain in and extract the golden sweetness out of it.

At my local shop they said I could use the thing I use to smash squirrel meat with, you know to tenderize it. I'll just have to clean it up...

No, I don't know. Can you expand, a pic would be good.

You turn the handle and the meat slides though, kind of like a wind up flash light that doesn't need batteries... I'll try to get some pics for you all soon.

At my local shop they said I could use the thing I use to smash squirrel meat with, you know to tenderize it. I'll just have to clean it up...

To crush your grain??? Without seeing it, I suspect that would be a very poor thing to use. Malt mills are made to provide a consistent crush to the entire batch of grain that's run through it.

Get a malt crusher/mill, or have the LHBS crush it for you when you buy the grains for a batch.

Umm... propane burner and big pot... gonna cool it in the river using a dolly to get it there. Is there something else I need?

Highly doubt a river in FL would do all that good a job of cooling the wort. Most of us have ball valves installed in the BK in order for it to be an actual kettle. Putting it in the rivier would expose that to contamination, that's simply not worth the risk. Also, it's even more risky with the depth you'll need to place the kettle/pot into in order to get even halfway decent cooling. IMO, just get an actual wort chiller for that. Don't go all redneck on it. :eek:

Do you mean don't go back there? Because, you know, I can't change the past...

You turn the handle and the meat slides though, kind of like a wind up flash light that doesn't need batteries... I'll try to get some pics for you all soon.

Unless you can set the gap into .030"-.040" range, and it is knurled, it will give very poor crush at best, crappy crush at worst (or no crush, jamming up).

To crush your grain??? Without seeing it, I suspect that would be a very poor thing to use. Malt mills are made to provide a consistent crush to the entire batch of grain that's run through it.

Get a malt crusher/mill, or have the LHBS crush it for you when you buy the grains for a batch.

Highly doubt a river in FL would do all that good a job of cooling the wort. Most of us have ball valves installed in the BK in order for it to be an actual kettle. Putting it in the rivier would expose that to contamination, that's simply not worth the risk. Also, it's even more risky with the depth you'll need to place the kettle/pot into in order to get even halfway decent cooling. IMO, just get an actual wort chiller for that. Don't go all redneck on it. :eek:

Sorry, but I am going to go all redneck on it... will let you know how it turns out...

Unless you can set the gap into .030"-.040" range, and it is knurled, it will give very poor crush at best, crappy crush at worst (or no crush, jamming up).

I CAN set the gap to whatever I want it to be, thank you for the exact measurements I need to use....

Sorry, but I am going to go all redneck on it... will let you know how it turns out...

Don't be too surprised, then, when your OG isn't anywhere near what the recipe predicted. Poor/bad crush is one of the top reasons people get low efficiency numbers in all grain (and partial mash) brewing. It's not a trivial aspect of the process, but a rather critical one.

I CAN set the gap to whatever I want it to be, thank you for the exact measurements I need to use....

:smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack:

The actual gap you need to use depends on several factors. While many use .039" gap, others go down to .030" or all the way up to .050" (or higher). A lot depends on your setup. Without knowing what your mash tun is set up with, we can't even begin to guess what gap/crush size will be good.

Also, going through meat/flesh is a hell of a lot easier than dried grain. Don't be surprised if the rollers in your redneck/ghetto crusher don't last very long. :eek:

going through meat/flesh is a hell of a lot easier than dried grain. Don't be surprised if the rollers in your redneck/ghetto crusher don't last very long. :eek:

I'll get the guys from my local shop to crush the first batch for me... would that make you happy? Then I can see exactly how it's done and see if my squirrel meat crusher would work, okay?

I'll get the guys from my local shop to crush the first batch for me... would that make you happy? Then I can see exactly how it's done and see if my squirrel meat crusher would work, okay?

Whatevah... Do what you want, since you will anyway. :eek: Just don't expect any sympathy from me when you use your squirrel squisher on grain and the efficiency numbers are through the floor.

Also, I hope you're going to seriously clean that thing before you put any grain through it... I wouldn't want any squirrel-bits in MY brew. :eek: :p :fro:

Watching Golddigie and BobbyLynn is sort of like a Jerrry Springer show. Don't get me wrong. I truly enjoy BL and GD, both of you folks. Maybe BL a little more. But smurf! You two should get a hotel room or something.

Watching Golddigie and BobbyLynn is sort of like a Jerrry Springer show. Don't get me wrong. I truly enjoy BL and GD, both of you folks. Maybe BL a little more. But smurf! You two should get a hotel room or something.

Damn... I'd love to get that bastard alone in a hotel room... wouldn't turn out the way you expected....

Okay, I think that what I am calling a squirrel tenderizer actually is a masher for grain. It was with the stuff grandad left behind.... I thought it was a squirrel tenderizer....

Okay, I think that what I am calling a squirrel tenderizer actually is a masher for grain. It was with the stuff grandad left behind.... I thought it was a squirrel tenderizer....

I'm not going to lie, I have not read any other posts in this thread but I think this is an amazing quote. (Thus the reason I am looking at this thread...) I just might have to start from the beginning.

Masher/mashing is processing of the crushed grain, not the actual CRUSHING of the grain. You don't grind it, mash it, tenderize it, you CRUSH IT... Like in the Rocky movie... "I must crush you"... :eek: :D

I don't think Jerry could handle us... :D

Damn... I'd love to get that bastard alone in a hotel room... wouldn't turn out the way you expected....

It wouldn't end how YOU expect either. :eek: :D

BTW, here's a picture of the business end of MY monster... No, not that monster, the one that crushes my grain. Get your mind out of the gutter. :D

MM2-2_0_business_end.jpg

I'm not going to lie, I have not read any other posts in this thread but I think this is an amazing quote. (Thus the reason I am looking at this thread...) I just might have to start from the beginning.

Ahh, yes, he's probably rolling over in his grave right now, watching me run squirrels though it... I'll get it cleaned up good tomorrow, get ready for my first AG brew.

Anyone want a beer?

Masher/mashing is processing of the crushed grain, not the actual CRUSHING of the grain. You don't grind it, mash it, tenderize it, you CRUSH IT... Like in the Rocky movie... "I must crush you"... :eek: :D

I don't think Jerry could handle us... :D

It wouldn't end how YOU expect either. :eek: :D

BTW, here's a picture of the business end of MY monster... No, not that monster, the one that crushes my grain. Get your mind out of the gutter. :D

Okay, yeah, I got one of those... how many times do I have to apologize for not knowing the right words for things?

Back