a question about mashing volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveWade

Reaction score
I'm brewing an imperial ipa and using 1.5 qts of water to my 19 lbs of grain puts me at mashing w 7g of water. So if I use another 3g to sparge I'm thinking I'll prob pull out at least 8g for my boil. Problem is that I'm only shooting for a 5g batch. Is this accurate?

I'm brewing an imperial ipa and using 1.5 qts of water to my 19 lbs of grain puts me at mashing w 7g of water. So if I use another 3g to sparge I'm thinking I'll prob pull out at least 8g for my boil. Problem is that I'm only shooting for a 5g batch. Is this accurate?

Are you batch sparging?

If you are then you will need more that 3 gallons for sparge water.

Remember that your grains will absorb a whole lot of water.

Yes I will be batch sparging. I understand typical retention is .1 per pound of grain so that would put me at pulling about 8 g of water out. But how much water should I use to sparge? I really only can fit about 6.5 g into my kettle

Not that i have ever brewed such a heavyweight, but I believe some tend to mash thicker and reserve more sparge water to better rinse the grain and achieve higher efficiency??? YMMV

With such a huge grain bill there are efficiency benefits to overcollecting and boiling down.

A beer this large may get tricky w/ such a small kettle??

Can I boil down just using a rolling boil? Will a very high boil temp affect the sugars during the boil?

You can boil down. You can also collect less for the original brew and do a double batch. I high OG beer and a lower OG beer.

Lots of options.

Do you really need 8 gallons preboil? Three gallons to boil off seems like a lot?
How long are you boiling for?
When I batch sparge I just divide the total water volume in half.
So in your case 5 gallons for mash and five for sparge.
I boil off a gallon per hour so I would use
about 8.5 gallons for mash and sparge for 6 gallon preboil for a 60 minute boil
4.25 mash and 4.25 sparge.

Back