a possible spin off a herms system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auto4life

Reaction score
I'm wondering if its possible to use a ranco controller in tandem with two March pumps (one normally open and circulating thru the hlt inside a coil, the other normally closed and circulating the mash strait from the bottom to the top of the mash. The two pump inlets would be supplied by a Y at the ball valve to the false bottom.
Would this work? Has it been tried? I'm just thinking its easier to control the general temperature of the hlt than the precision temperature of the mash. Sort of a hillbilly herms system.
Also does a ranco temperature probe need a thermowell or can it set directly in the mash without harming it?

That's what I do. The only thing you have to worry about is cavitation. If you have the recirculation pump open all the way, when the HERMS pump turns on, you will get air introduced and it could potentially stop your recirculation. Because of that, I have my recirculating pump run slower than I want, but it works quite well. My mash is completely hands off. I get 82% efficiency without stirring.

I use a thermowell.

I'll post a picture in a little while.

Sorry for the quality of the picture. This was when I was testing so there are cords everywhere and my hoses are too long but I think you can get the gist of the way my system runs. In the middle you can see where it splits.

herms.jpg

Makes sense, I've already got one ranco for my ferment chamber and one pump ordered thru our matco tool vendor. I think I'll just add another pump and thermowell to that order and retrofit my ranco with a NO and NC plug.
I too was concerned with cavitation but I'm glad that a little restriction resolves that.
Thanks!

That's what I do. The only thing you have to worry about is cavitation. If you have the recirculation pump open all the way, when the HERMS pump turns on, you will get air introduced and it could potentially stop your recirculation. Because of that, I have my recirculating pump run slower than I want, but it works quite well. My mash is completely hands off. I get 82% efficiency without stirring.

I use a thermowell.

I'll post a picture in a little while.

What temperature to you run your hlt at and do you recirculate thru copper or stainless tubing?

I keep my HLT at 170-180. I recirculate through copper. So far so good.

The Ranco seems like a super expensive way to go when you can get a little controller off of e-bay, but one of my fermentation chambers went out and suddenly I had a controller that I wasn't using. Maybe some day when I befriend an electrician I will build a nice control box. For now it's water proof switches and a Ranco.

I hear ya, I bought an auber controller for my freezer before discovering the simplicity of a ranco. I could just as easily use the auber controller I've got collecting dust

Back