A Newb Hope IIPA - critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbadarchi

Reaction score
4 gallon batch

7.5 lb 2row
2lb Pilsner
.5 lb flaked oats
.5 lb crystal 15
1lb corn sugar

.3 oz chinook @ 60

1 oz each of chinook, centennial, cascade @ 15
2 oz each of chinook, centennial, cascade @ 180f for 30 min hopstand
2 oz each of chinook, centennial, cascade for 5 days dry hop.

us05 start at 62f and increase to 70 by end of fermentation.

I have already Brewer this and got an OG of 1.078 which should put this at around 8.2%

I am wondering how the Pilsner is going to taste along with the classic hop flavors but it smelled fantastic going into the fermenter.

Let me know what you think!

Im a newb myself, but I'm thinking the pilsner is not really going to show up in this recipe.

I'd stick to just one base malt, or if you want to be noticeably unique do 50/50 Pale Malt/Vienna, It would make things interesting

I had an IIPA from deschutes that was pils and oats. I really liked it, but thought the pils taste should be toned down. And read that oats is good for mouthfeel and head retention

Looks fine. Did some beers with all hops at 60 min and some at a 180 hop stand and got great aroma but not quite the flavor I was hoping for. Maybe some hops at flame out?

Dry-hopping adds a good amount of flavour as well as aroma.

I would say, move the 30-minute additions down to 20- or even 15-minutes. Also, try a contrasting hop in place of one or two of the dry-hops. Like, keep the Centennial but try Citra/Simcoe for the other two instead of Cascade & Chinook. Or keep the Cascade & use Columbus/Mosaic, or Galaxy/Nelson.

:)

I mainly wanted to say I like the name ;)
But the recipe looks good too. I agree the pils probably won't show itself but nothing wrong with mixing light base malts in something like this if you're using up ingredients.

Latest posts

Back