A New Wheat Beer Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STStunner

Reaction score
I very recently received a Muntons wheat beer kit as a gift. The instructions say to add 2.2 pounds of table sugar in order to reach 4.6% ABV. If I leave the 2.2 pounds of table sugar out and use LME or DME instead, how much of either one of those two much better ingredient would it take me to reach 6% ABV instead of only the advertised weaker 4.6% ABV? I prefer to keep my homebrew beers right around 6% ABV as not to be either too weak or too strong.

Last edited:
Thanks for your attempted help. The batch size would be six gallons. I don't have the exact recipe of specific ingredients because beer kit manufacturers typically don't release such information to the general public. I was simply wanting to replace the additional table sugar that they suggest using with LME or DME and then try to up the ABV slightly. Here's a link to the exact kit: Wheat Beer - Muntons

Thanks for your attempted help. The batch size would be six gallons. I don't have the exact recipe of specific ingredients because beer kit manufacturers typically don't release such information to the general public. I was simply wanting to replace the additional table sugar that they suggest using with LME or DME and then try to up the ABV slightly. Here's a link to the exact kit: Wheat Beer - Muntons
According to this link, it is for40 pints which is 5 gallons. These are VERY rough calculations: table sugar is .046 ppg, lme is about .036 ppg, so for 2.2 lbs table sugar you need 2.8 lbs of lme. To add 1.4% more abv, you need an additional 1.5 lbs of lme for a total of 4.3 lbs. That should get you close to 6%.
You should add the lme then top up to final volume.

Last edited:
Just a point to think about. Adding fermentables to a basic kit is something I do all the time but it changes the balance of your brew. Adding LME/DME to boost ABV will change the flavor profile more than simple sugars (corn/table sugar) will. That's not always a bad thing, just something to think about.
Hop utilization drops with a more dense wort so add your your extra fermentables just late enough to ensure pasteurization, (ie, 5 min from the end of the boil or at flame out). That will help retain some of the balance.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

Back