A little worried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishing

Someday I'll stop procrastinating
Reaction score
I've always fermented in my basement because the temperature stays on the cool side and quite constant. However, this screwed up spring weather has my basement much warmer than normal and I have two primaries down there that aren't going to be cool enough I'm afraid. One batch was brewed the 4th and the second one just this past Saturday. THat one is sitting on the floor and the concrete does feel cool if I walk on it without my shoes. THe earlier batch is up off the floor because I want to transfer it but haven't done that yet.
So, I'm worried that the beers I made to enjoy with my son when he gets home on leave next month will have off flavors.
I didn't try to do any kind of swamp cooler because I'm gone so much of the day I think the brew would experience some wicked temperature swings ... more than they will if I just leave them alone.

Have you taken a thermometer reading of how warm? Depending on the yeast you used you might be ok. Do you have the little stick on temperature guages on your carboys. That would help alleve your concern.

Remember it takes a long sustained temperature to swing 5 gallons of liquid temperature. So if it spikes up 10-15 degrees for a couple of hours during the afternoon that's probably not long enough to change the temperature of the fermenting beer.

I haven't taken the temperature of the room or the fermenters. (I don't have a regular thermometer).I also don't have the little stick on ones, mostly because I use plastic buckets so I don't know how accurate they'd be.
The yeast was SA-05

I'm feeling a little better now as I just read a conversation in another forum where the consenous was that SA-05 is quite tolerant of conditions at the high end of its temp range. There were brewers who stated they'd had no off flavors at 72-74, and I'm sure the basement isn't quite that warm.

Back