A little help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty8202

Reaction score
So I have been wanting to get into brewing for some time now. I have been looking around at homebrew kits. All of them say everything that you need is included but none of them have a burner, kettle, muslin bags. So I guess what I'm getting at is is everything I need to get started really included in these kits or do I need to purchase more? Also what is the easiest recipe for a beginner that would be close to let's say a bud light? I am a complete noob at this so any info will help.

I started with a kit, just comes with the basics, none of that.

a beginner will not be able to make anythjign close to bud light because it involves lagering (which requires a lot more additional equipment) and you need an immaculate brewing environment and precise control over your process. There's simply no flavor in bud light to cover any flaws that inevitably exist in homebrewing.

Are you going to do extract, partial mash, or all grain brewing? this will effect what equipment you need. Also if you plan to use the dry yeasts (which are cheaper but less selection) or the more expressive liquid ones

Kits are great for getting a bunch of what you need for a little cheaper. But yes, you will obviously still need a kettle and source of heat (burner, stove) to make the beer. You'r LHBS clerk can make sure you're good to go. Check out craigslist too. People sell their old stuff when they upgrade, so you may be able to get everything for cheaper there.

As far as a Bud Light-like beer. That's a lager and requires fermentation temp control. Which I doubt you will have. They need to be fermented cool. Go for something like a Cream Ale for a light, crisp yellow beer.

Search these forums for recipes or type your questions in on google. Odds are 100 million other people have asked your exact same question.

If you get the stuff that's in one of those kits and grab a kettle. You'll have all you need to start doing extract recipes. Get a nylon bag for some grain and you can also start steeping/partially mashing grains.

Most beginners strat with extract, which is what I'd recommend. Once you get the principles of brewing down you'll be hooked (if not sooner) and then will want to upgrade. Which is fine. Cause all you'll need is additional equipment. Everything you bought for extract will still be relevant

Well I planned on getting a kit for the beer recipe as well. So I guess whatever comes in that. I think it's an extract.

There is a lot to start off with.

You can get a Mr. Beer kit which really does include everything expect a pot to boil the ingredients.

You can also get this equipment start kit. There are options for a brew pot, bottles, etc. For the brew pot I would use a turkey fryer. They are pretty inexpensive. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Beer/Kits_2/Brew-on-a-Budget-Equipment-Kit.html

This link will also provide the ingredients to make the beer. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Beer/Light-Lagers/AHS-American-Rice-Lager-1B.html.

Good Luck!

Im not too sure it would be worth going through all the trouble of homebrewing if your personal tastes dont venture too far from adjunct lagers like Bud Light. Im not sure if you just figured that would be an easy starting point, or that's the stuff you would want to be brewing is all...

if you do end up wanting to do all grain, doing a brew-in-a-bag on your stove is a great way to get started. The only equipment you need in addition to an extract brewer is basically a 5gal paint strainer bag to fit on your kettle. You can use the kettle as you mash tun and you basically do the whole brew process in a single vessel

Ya I kinda figured bud light like beer would be an easy start but from the sound of it guess not. Lol. I do like blond beers not really a dark beer kind of guy but I'm sure the more brewing I do they will grow on me. Just want to get started with an easy beer for my first batch. So maybe a ale?

Try a pale ale extract kit. They are very easy just boil water and add extracts and hops at the required times. Cool and transfer to fermenter and add yeast. It is also a very tasty beer. I am very new myself to beer brewing. Did two extracts and now do one or two all grain batch's each week end. Get the largest kettle you can swing the first time. I bought a five gallon stoneware then a 7.5 gallon aluminum turkey fry pot then an 11 gallon stainless steel kettle with a basket. All three kettles work even done one all grain on the 7.5 but really had to hawk watch it for boil overs. I do still use the 5 gallon pot to heat sparge water in the house during the mash to save propane.

Ya I kinda figured bud light like beer would be an easy start but from the sound of it guess not. Lol. I do like blond beers not really a dark beer kind of guy but I'm sure the more brewing I do they will grow on me. Just want to get started with an easy beer for my first batch. So maybe a ale?

Definitely stay in ale territory. I've done over 80 batches and only 2 of them werent ales. You need a fermentation chamber or a basement thats steady at like 55 degrees to do lagers. Then you also need the fridge space to lager the whole thing.

There's a lot of good beginner ale recipes floating around. Ideally, you'd find one with 3 or less malts and one or two hop varieties. Gumball head from Three Floyd is one of my favorites that is super easy to make and extremely popular with beer geeks and BMC drinkers alike

I got a mr beer kit myself, but I'll never use the carbonation drops again. I'm using real sugar. Right now I'm working on a Czech Pilsner, hoping it turns out better than my first.

I got a mr beer kit myself, but I'll never use the carbonation drops again. I'm using real sugar. Right now I'm working on a Czech Pilsner, hoping it turns out better than my first.

you're making a Czech Pilsner from a Mr Beer kit? You may need to get some kind of temperature controlling device before doing that one. A lager yeast for a good pils will need to stay in the mid 50s for weeks and then brought down to near 30 for a month or so to clear

If you've got the time, the various 'sticky' threads here and on other brewing forums contain all of the information you need to get started. Beyond that there are some great beer blogs, podcasts, and Vlogs out there so you can read or watch someone else go through the process. There are countless books out, there's a thread on HBT where people have weighed in on their favorites.

The economy of scale makes it hard to compete with Busch-Miller-Coors in terms of quality control and just cost per beer. Once you have the equipment you can start to compete, but the initial investment is high.

There are some very popular recipes out there that will give you a nice crisp 'normal' beer rather than exotic flavors and crazy concepts. Don't be afraid to try a beer just because it looks dark. Color doesn't always match the actual flavor or style. Figure out what styles you like and then you can look up recipes by style rather than vague terms like 'light' and 'dark'. Starting out it's tempting to stick with extract since you don't need much equipment or time, but I would encourage you to look at partial mash, or even brew-in-a-bag (BIAB) methods if you're up for a little challenge that opens up a world of flavors to you.
The Brew Your Own magazine has a recipe index with all grain and extract versions of recipes. Most online supply houses offer their own kits, and if you search the kit by name you should be able to find reviews for them.
If you check the community forums you could probably find someone in your area to learn the ropes from. Many local home brew stores offer classes or at least advice on recipes and equipment.

You initially said you were looking to make a nice crisp Pilsner. Some similar styles that are more forgiving you could look into California Common, Cream & Blond , British Mild , and American Amber(recipe). Apologies if those links are a bit verbose for your needs, but they are intended to help you find flavors you like and the beers that have them.

Back