a Homer Simpson moment, Dooohhhh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burntchef

Reaction score
If working in the brew haus in bare feet, it is best if you close the valve on the boil kettle prior to transferring wort from the mash tun. Dohhh! Not burnt, but hurt feelings for being a dumb A$$!
Eric

Thanks for the cautionary tale. I routinely batch sparge with the mash tun outlet open and fill my boil kettle with grainy vorlauf in the process. So I’m probably also capable of burning my toes...

I buddy of mine was brewing with his brewpal and a hose came off of a pump and promptly filled up the shoe of his brewpal with hot sticky wort.

I ALWAYS brew with shoes and long pants, regardless of how hot it is.

This needs to be moved to the Don't Do That thread...although I also brew in flipflops and jammie pants on early mornings. I've wound up with seriously dirty feet but no burns yet....

I always try to keep shoes on when brewing, mainly so I can be more surefooted when carrying around a full carboy or kettle. Unfortunately, I often remember when I'm carrying my carboy halfway down the stairs wearing socks.

I always try to keep shoes on when brewing, mainly so I can be more surefooted when carrying around a full carboy or kettle. Unfortunately, I often remember when I'm carrying my carboy halfway down the stairs wearing socks.
If the carboy is glass, I hope you use at least a BrewHauler or a crate to hold it in.

In my beginning years I always carried glass carboys around like trophees. Yup, up and down steps too, always saying to myself: "don't drop this." So little did I know...

At least those glass 'boys were all Italian or Mexican born during that time.

I routinely brew in flip flops in the summer months.
And one thing I seem to do EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. is sit the kettle on the ground for cleaning and then hit my toe on the darn ball valve.

I've brewed barefoot numerous times outdoors where I could hose off my sticky tootsies :D
Never done it since I moved to indoor brewing as the hose thing isn't viable and a wet towel just isn't an attractive idea...

Cheers!

Back