A Handbook of Basic Brewing Calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeahfairly

Reaction score
Sorry Folks if this has already been discussed...... Does anyone have any feed back on "A Handbook of Basic Brewing Calculations" by Stephen Holle??? Considering buying it to add to my collection but at $49 bucks I wanted to see if anyone has read it before I pull the trigger. I have purchased a few that were an absolute waste of money..... Thanks in Advance...

Cheers!!!!

For me, the book is useful for a couple of different reasons.

For me, it is a primary source of equations for brewing (some people build mash tuns, some people build recipe spreadsheets). Many of the equations can likely be found a number of current home brewing books. With a 2003 copyright and some periodic updates (4th edition in 2010), it won't contain the most recent equations involving hop bitterness, ...

For me, it helps explain the science behind the equations (caution: remember the title of this book - if one is interested in the science of brewing, this may not be a good 1st purchase).

There is a longer (than amazon.com) description of the book at the MBAA (https://www.mbaa.com/) web site which may help:

Most brewing textbooks focus on the science of what happens and why it happens during the brewing process. Methods that describe specifically “how” to control what happens usually receive brief treatment. A Handbook of Basic Brewing Calculations is a survey of authoritative textbooks that use quantitative methods to show the brewer how to translate the “what’s and why’s” of brewing science into practical brewing applications that result in more consistent and higher quality beer. Equations and procedures that would receive short treatment in other texts are thoroughly explained through numerous examples of practical brewing applications.

A Handbook of Basic Brewing Calculations clearly illustrates how to apply sound science in the brew house. A typical textbook might explain why it is important to have a certain level of calcium in the brewing water, a specific mash temperature, the correct yeast pitching rate, or a certain carbonation level, but may not explain how to achieve these results. This handbook shows the brewer how to determine what weight of gypsum will provide the desired ppm of calcium in the brewing water, what mash water temperature will achieve the desired mash temperature, what volume of yeast slurry will provide the desired yeast cell pitching rate, and what weight of priming will provide the desired carbonation level.

Learn to translate theory into practical applications in the brewhouse!
  • Explore step-by-step calculations from malt through dispense for increased control over brewing variables and improved consistency
  • Understand the science establishing each equation and its applicability to brewing to ensure correct variables are used in equations
  • Learn each mathematical step in solving equations to thoroughly comprehend how solutions are reached

-- http://my.mbaa.com/ItemDetail?iProductCode=25513

Thanks for the reply.... I was hoping it would be a Brew Day Bible, if you will. I've got several of the "essential" books but I really didn't want to drop $50 on this one with out getting some feedback first. I have bought a couple that had good ratings off of Amazon only to be disappointed when I dug into them

Cheers!

Back