Using new hops and first BIAB for Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam_outt

Reaction score
Hello fellow homebrewers!
And I'm sorry for using this platform for this rate-my-beer BS đź’©

So, I've been doing so far so good with few extract brews, using liquid pale extract, spray-malt and mostly galaxy, citra and mosaic hops. But now I am trying out some Brew-In-A-Bag. The final product should be something like IPA or APA but I'm not trying to reach anything specific. And I want to keep the first batch very small, in case I screw things up with this one. With the extract ones I've been only doing the primary fermentation for 12-15 days in a fermenter and "secondary" in a bottle with carbonation drops for 2-3 weeks. Should I do otherwise with this or am I good to go? I'm using a 12 litre PET Carboy as a fermentor.

I've been using the Wort app to get some style guide for this one but I was considered about the hops, aromas and flavours. I picked out the hops just by the description and characteristics from Hopslist.com, that would bring out some aroma and flavour that I've had in mind. I'm looking for just any kind of tips and suggestions that you would change or not change. It would also be super-duper-awesome if anyone has any clue about what kind of actual aromas or flavours I would get with this recipe. Basically I just want to keep most of the grains and all of the hop-types that I have already chosen.

So without further ado, here is my recipe for my first BIAB-experiment.

Fermentable
Amount Name
2,250 kg Weyermann Pale Ale
0,250 kg Weyermann Cara-Pils

Hops

El Dorado hops
6g - boil 60min.
5g - boil 15 min.
7g - boil 3 min.
12g - dryhop 2 days

Mandarina Bavaria hops
7g - boil 30 min.
5g - boil 15 min.
6g - boil 3min.
12g - dryhop 2 days

Yeast
Mangrove Jack's US West Coast M44 10g, 1pkg

(From the Wort app's style guide)
Batch Size 9 litres
Est. Original Gravity 1,059
Est. Final Gravity 1,015
Est. %ABV 5,8
IBU'S 60,4
SRM 5

Thanks & Cheers 🍻

A quick glance at the hop varieties sounds pretty good to me. I think you'll have a tasty ale on your hands in a month or so.

I use BIAB also and generally shoot for 14 days in the fermenter as a rule. I test the FG a couple days before and on day 14 also. Sometimes I'll go over or under a day or two depending on what's going on in life. Another couple weeks in the bottle will improve the beer a lot. If you're bottling you could probably even leave your beer in the fermenter for 3 weeks and then bottle. Totally up to you. I think you'll find that the beer will get better with some age on it.

Back