A good grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimerian

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a grain mill. I have been looking at the maltmill by schmidling. Is this a good mill? It looks like I could adapt it easily to a handcrank or a motor with pulleys. I like to only buy things once so want something that is going to last and willing to pay for better performance.

I have a maltmill, just set it up with a 5 gallon water jug hopper and cobbled together something to make it sit securely on a bucket, it is powered by a harbor freight drill. It is a beast. the mill gives a great crush, I have also used a little beauty called a Phil Mill, a single roller deal. once modified to have a larger hopper size it was a joy to use. I paid 50 bucks for it, just sold it on here recently. I can wholeheartedly recommend both the phil mill(which is sadly no longer manufactured, and the schmidling malt mill.

Yea, get a double roller mill. I can't remember who makes mine but I love it. Make sure you can adjust the gap too, which you should be able to do with any 2 roller mill.

I use the corona mill from Grizzly.com. It works awesome, only cost 30 bucks.

I use a barley crusher, have used it a lot. It is very good. I think you really cant go wrong. My friend recently purchased a monster mill and is very satisfied too.

I have a Crankandstein 2 roller and love it but monster mill, barley crusher and malt mill are all quality units as well. You can't go wrong with any of them!

Back