A Good Batch Size For Testing New Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirBronto

Reaction score
It seems that the standard batch size for a home brew batch is 5 gallons. But what if you are experimenting with several ideas without knowledge of the results. Would a 1 gallon batch size for each be a good amount? I know that the difference in size will alter the flavor a little but will it be to the degree that you cant assume a 5 gallon batch will be very similar? I will use ale yeast. That being said how fast will the decreased size ferment as opposed to a 5 gallon batch? Thanks alot for any responses and I look forward to contributing to this forum plenty.

Some people do 1-gallon test batches, but for me, it's just as easy or easier to do 3-gallon test batches. Your pitching rate (assuming you pitch a whole vial of liquid yeast) on a 1-gallon batch or 3-gallon batch is much higher, so the ferment time would theoretically be faster.

So even though the fermentation will be faster the taste if I were to move it from a 1 gallon to a 5 wont be too drastic? I would not want to do 3 because I am trying to limit the amount of test ingredients and beer until i am satisfied for a full batch. But i would also like it to not be too small so that its taste is indicative to what an expanded version would be. Any thoughts. Thanks for the response.

If you formulate the recipe correctly there should be NO taste difference between a 1 gallon batch and a 1,000 gallon batch. Grain is grain. Malt extract is malt extract. hops are hops.

1 gallon is doable...I prefer 2.5 gallon batches just because I still get 1 case of beer for my efforts. if it was really experimental I'd go for 1 gallon.

Take good notes and you'll scale your recipe based on percentages, so there should be no difference in taste.

My test batches have with additions of chocolate, fruits, tea at flameout, and that sort of thing.

Well there could be slight differences. Yeast is a pretty volatile organism and Papazian talks about it quite a bit. But it sounds like it wont be much. Thanks very much sir. Also, would the correct ingredients be just the exact proportional equivalent of the whole. Thanks agian.

Take the amount of grain, extract, hops, etc necessary for a 5 gallon batch and divide by 5. The gravity will be the same as for the larger batch. As long as the gravity is the same so should be the taste and alcohol content. Pitching a full vial of yeast into that small a batch of wort will get fermentation going sooner and will shorten the fermentation time somewhat. You are a lot more cautious than I am. I tend to take a given beer and tweak it a little at a time in 5 gallon batches. As long as I don't go crazy the result will be a good drinkable beer.

I did do a batch of Scottish Ale where I increased the amount of peated grain by 0.5 oz and discovered I had a really meaty tasting ale! One of my friends called it "the best bar-b-que I ever drank". Fortunately, the smoke flavor decreases with time and after about a month all was well. The next time I only increased the smoked barley by 0.25 oz and got to where I wanted to be without the extra wait.

I mentioned my mistake for a reason. Experimentation is fun but you are best served by taking a known recipe and tweaking it a little at a time rather than making bold strokes. A little research beats striking off into the unknown, also called the ughknown around here. That way you can avoid having friends who say "Well, it's...different". LOL!

Just my 2 cents.
John

Thanks a lot man. That was my plan, to mix and alter recipes but a one gallon would be perfect for a crazy idea it sounds. Thanks every one for your input. Happy Brewing. I will report back on my bull**** ideas.

If you brew smaller batches (say 2.5 gallons) should you use a smaller fermenter bucket? Right now I have a 6.5 gallon fermenter bucket.

Random thought... the less beer you make the less you have the opportunity for tasting it at various stages. If you only have 6 beer, when do you decide to drink or try them? What if you have a crazy experiment that tastes like junk at 3 months, okay at 6 and great at 9? You have nothing left at the end of the da when it all worked out good.

I am cool with drinking 5 gallons of half odd stuff, but then I can even drink the BMC junk I made as my first batch after a couple of good brews.

That is a point but i cant imagine that their are that many beers that get incredibly better with 9 months of age. In fact most wont be as good i assume. Maybe some crazy Belgium style things might. Good bit for thought though.

Latest posts

Back