A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say, anyone here a lawyer and want to give a very small bit of free advice? I got a speeding ticket last week, first ticket in over 15 years, and I know (at least here) we have something called a Prayer For Judgement plea that basically absolves one of something minor, like a speeding ticket or maybe running a stop sign. The advice I need is 1) how exactly do I tell the court this (I just don't want to sound like a *******) and 2) do I still have to pay court costs? Out of $220, only $30 is the fine, the rest is court costs.

No excuses for getting the ticket. I was speeding. Clocked at 58 in a 45. I'm a jackass.

So, oldest daughter is offering to by me a brew kettle...maybe $150-ish range? Any recommendations? I've been using an 8 gallon S/S stock pot and doing BIAB so far (which I assume I can still do). But having a spigot to save some lifting and pouring will be a big help. I usually do 5 gallon batches and the 8 gallon pot is able to boil over pretty easily, so maybe 15 gallon? Preferred brands, models, advice?

15 gallon is likely best bet. I'm happy with my 10gal from Spike Brewing. I do full volume mash easily for normal 1.05-ish beers. A recent mash of about 19 lb grain and 8.22 gal water tested the limits. Only thing is they are $170 + you have to buy ball valve separately. Mine is the older version without vol markings.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459626792.830211.jpg

Dinner at the beer club. Or as they put it the beertech. (Library is biblioteka, pharmacy is apoteka. Beer is pivo.) tasted kangaroo, ostrich, and duck. All 6 beers consumed from draught.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459627219.398589.jpg

Pre-dinner:
Her - weissbier. Me - American pale ale.

During dinner:
Her - unfiltered pale lager. Me - bud 16*L (the real bud) brewed with fresh hops.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459627452.881935.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459627494.509635.jpg

Post-dinner:
Her - abbey ale, me - porter
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459627595.618207.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459627618.570128.jpg

Next bar. Single hop ipa - sorachi ace. Holy dill bomb!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459627660.196935.jpg

Say, anyone here a lawyer and want to give a very small bit of free advice? I got a speeding ticket last week, first ticket in over 15 years, and I know (at least here) we have something called a Prayer For Judgement plea that basically absolves one of something minor, like a speeding ticket or maybe running a stop sign. The advice I need is 1) how exactly do I tell the court this (I just don't want to sound like a *******) and 2) do I still have to pay court costs? Out of $220, only $30 is the fine, the rest is court costs.

No excuses for getting the ticket. I was speeding. Clocked at 58 in a 45. I'm a jackass.

Don't know much about traffic tickets...and even less when they're outside of Michigan. But I can tell you I got a ticket once, with no other tickets on my record in the past 5 years. Judge, without me even asking, gave me an "under advisement", which meant that I paid the fine but the ticket didn't appear on my record if I didn't get another for six months.

Not really lawyerly advice, but best I've got for you.

Don't know much about traffic tickets...and even less when they're outside of Michigan. But I can tell you I got a ticket once, with no other tickets on my record in the past 5 years. Judge, without me even asking, gave me an "under advisement", which meant that I paid the fine but the ticket didn't appear on my record if I didn't get another for six months.

Not really lawyerly advice, but best I've got for you.

Thanks, man. Of course, within 4 days, I had 11 solicitations for legal service come in the mail. A lot want to charge $100+ to go to court for you, and many of them even ask if I have used a PFJ in the past three years.

As I have said, I am broke, so why pay a lawyer to do something I can do?

If all I have to do is pay the fine with the PFJ, I am cool. If I have to pay court costs, well, that's not so cool, but still better than getting points.

Sheesh. Woke up feeling rarely. Made the 5k that much more interesting. Had lunch at mellow mushroom, and their beer selection, while nice, was not available as their cooler was b0rked.

Waiting for the eldest outside the school, then taxes when I get home.

Wooo.... Such a high intensity weekend. :mad:

Sheesh. Woke up feeling rarely. Made the 5k that much more interesting. Had lunch at mellow mushroom, and their beer selection, while nice, was not available as their cooler was b0rked.

Waiting for the eldest outside the school, then taxes when I get home.

Wooo.... Such a high intensity weekend. :mad:

Ummm ... did you install DisturbdChemist's autocorrect tool?

More water now that I'm in some open space for flooring (there's too little long runs in this space and I'm constantly stopping to cut boards)

Thanks, man. Of course, within 4 days, I had 11 solicitations for legal service come in the mail. A lot want to charge $100+ to go to court for you, and many of them even ask if I have used a PFJ in the past three years.

As I have said, I am broke, so why pay a lawyer to do something I can do?

If all I have to do is pay the fine with the PFJ, I am cool. If I have to pay court costs, well, that's not so cool, but still better than getting points.

If you don't have an excuse, and you as for a prayer for judgement, I think you pay court costs, but not the fine. When you get to court, if you were going less than 15 mph over or if the officer doesn't make it to testify, the D.A. may not prosecute. He will talk to you before you go before the judge. If he plans to prosecute, tell him you are intending to ask for the prayer for judgement...and do so in front of the judge. If I'm not mistaken, if you come back in less than 2 or 3 years, they can retroactively convict you and add it to the new one. Choose carefully...DA may reduce it enough to not affect you much. Disclaimer... Not a lawyer.

Thanks, Matt. I will make sure to have the entire $220 when I go, as it seems at the least, I will be paying the $190 cost of court.

I definitely don't need any points on my license.

Next up bernardus 12 (for her), and a local one called Clock the beer is Twist (for me).

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459631166.114110.jpg

Last two for the evening:
Both sharing a simcoe blonde and a rye ale. She wanted some dessert, so I had to run up the street and find the only thing around at this time at night. A random Italian place that had some tiramisu.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459631387.373559.jpg

Then she had to try some absinthe to see if she wanted to buy some. It's awful. It tastes only like black licorice, which is one of the most disgusting things in the world.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459631556.390743.jpg

If you don't have an excuse, and you as for a prayer for judgement, I think you pay court costs, but not the fine. When you get to court, if you were going less than 15 mph over or if the officer doesn't make it to testify, the D.A. may not prosecute. He will talk to you before you go before the judge. If he plans to prosecute, tell him you are intending to ask for the prayer for judgement...and do so in front of the judge. If I'm not mistaken, if you come back in less than 2 or 3 years, they can retroactively convict you and add it to the new one. Choose carefully...DA may reduce it enough to not affect you much. Disclaimer... Not a lawyer.

If you show and the cop doesn't, accept nothing other than the full dismissal of the ticket. Only evidence the city attorney has is the officer's testimony. Without that, they have no case. The police report, without the citing officer is pure heresay.

Say, anyone here a lawyer and want to give a very small bit of free advice? I got a speeding ticket last week, first ticket in over 15 years, and I know (at least here) we have something called a Prayer For Judgement plea that basically absolves one of something minor, like a speeding ticket or maybe running a stop sign. The advice I need is..

Pretty sure this is all you need man..

View attachment 1459632594325.jpg

If you show and the cop doesn't, accept nothing other than the full dismissal of the ticket. Only evidence the city attorney has is the officer's testimony. Without that, they have no case. The police report, without the citing officer is pure heresay.

It all depends on the court from my experience. Sometimes a lawyer can get you off relatively easy, sometimes the court decides to stick it to you and reschedule.

Ruination 2.0. Called a local place to take the kids bowling and they're league only until 10pm. Wtf? Might just go to Dave and Busters or a new place that just opened.

It all depends on the court from my experience. Sometimes a lawyer can get you off relatively easy, sometimes the court decides to stick it to you and reschedule.

Ruination 2.0. Called a local place to take the kids bowling and they're league only until 10pm. Wtf? Might just go to Dave and Busters or a new place that just opened.

If they reschedule, ask for sanctions. They should pay for your time to have shown.

EDIT: if I showed for a trial with no evidence, judge would hand me my ass if I tried to do anything but concede to a default.

EDIT: if I showed for a trial with no evidence, judge would hand me my ass if I tried to do anything but concede to a default.

The ticket is evidence. The cop doesn't have to be in court for the ticket to be admitted as evidence.

:(

The ticket is evidence. The cop doesn't have to be in court for the ticket to be admitted as evidence.

Bull****. It's heresay. The cop can consult the ticket and his notes for testimony, but if he's not there to testify, the ticket, his report, and everything else, is inadmissible heresay.

Instant dismissal in Florida if the cop doesn't show. They were getting all the speeding tickets dismissed here because the company that makes the radar guns wouldn't testify to how they work a few years ago. Not sure what happened with that, I haven't heard anything in the news about it in a while.

Instant dismissal in Florida if the cop doesn't show. They were getting all the speeding tickets dismissed here because the company that makes the radar guns wouldn't testify to how they work a few years ago. Not sure what happened with that, I haven't heard anything in the news about it in a while.

Same here in CA. Well the dismissal don't know about the radar gun. It used to be that most of the time the cop wouldn't show up. Word got out and a bunch of tickets got dismissed, now the cop shows up more often than not.

DBA. Kids asleep, honey-do list done.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459635065.286479.jpg

Same here in CA. Well the dismissal don't know about the radar gun. It used to be that most of the time the cop wouldn't show up. Word got out and a bunch of tickets got dismissed, now the cop shows up more often than not.

DBA. Kids asleep, honey-do list done.View attachment 348493

It was an interesting time for sure. The company that made the radar guns would refuse to testify citing trade secrets and the judge would throw the case out. Similar thing happened with the red light cameras, most municipalities have removed them since the tickets won't stand up in court.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459636018.717926.jpg
Having this now

That's his Scotch 80 -/...
Fantastic beer. man.
View attachment 348491

That was my 2nd guess...awesome beer! Drinking SN Harvest now, but got his IPA/DIPA chilling.

So, Friendly Friends with nothing else to do, I have a puzzle. Planed for a lighter stout at my usual 65%ish efficiency, but ended up at 80%ish. This is my first brew using pickling lime for increased bi-carbinate. My pre-boil actual was [email protected], but I'm usually low from BS2 calculations, so don't stress over it. Never, ever had these kind of post boil/efficiency numbers. I use RO then re-mineralize.

Pics are planed numbers, then actual numbers and proof of my conundrum. Along with Brew'n water calculations.

So my overall question is this, is this a function of better water chemistry? Any input, besides the grandma picture taking, would be helpful. Thanks anyone! Post boil sample was nice with the mouthfeel I'm aiming for.

Attachments

• 1459636147439.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 1459636156946.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 1459636166126.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 1459636177617.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 1459636185757.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 41
That was my 2nd guess...awesome beer! Drinking SN Harvest now, but got his IPA/DIPA chilling.

So, Friendly Friends with nothing else to do, I have a puzzle. Planed for a lighter stout at my usual 65%ish efficiency, but ended up at 80%ish. This is my first brew using pickling lime for increased bi-carbinate. My pre-boil actual was [email protected], but I'm usually low from BS2 calculations, so don't stress over it. Never, ever had these kind of numbers. I use RO then re-mineralize.

Pics are planed numbers, then actual numbers and proof of my conundrum. Along with Brew'n water calculations.

So my overall question is this, is this a function of better water chemistry? Any input, besides the grandma picture taking, would be helpful. Thanks anyone! Post boil sample was nice with the mouthfeel I'm aiming for.

First thought is check your volumes. I've not played with water chemistry, but if I was .014 high, I'd think volume must be off somewhere. Used more grain, less water, etc. if those are correct, then I got nothing...

First thought is check your volumes. I've not played with water chemistry, but if I was .014 high, I'd think volume must be off somewhere. Used more grain, less water, etc. if those are correct, then I got nothing...

I'm right at 5.5 gallons in the fermenter. That was my first thought, but swished the wort around in the fermenter and verified.

Back