A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last of my sizer of DBA. Season opener for the Giants tomorrow and I can't wait. Have to say baseball is my favorite sport to watch. Hockey and football tie for second. I hate basketball.

Really? What others have you had like that? I love overly sweet and bourbony stouts, but the fruit in this is definitely throwing me off.

Uncle Jacob's '14 is the most prominent in my mind. The others were HB so I'd have to like, look it up and stuff.

Uncle Jacob's '14 is the most prominent in my mind. The others were HB so I'd have to like, look it up and stuff.

I lied. One more Oberon. I have 16 jobs tomorrow (twice my normal load) so I really need to go to bed. I expect half will get removed and given to someone else, but still.

Thought about buying some. Decided not to.

Fruity as hell homebrew is all too common, believe me. Judged too many beers that might as well be fruit juice. And you can usually tell the dry yeast users. So. Much. Peach.

I'll have to try that one again and see if I pick up the fruit. I heard a rumor that Avery uses a belgian yeast (3787) for their big beers. Could be wrong though.

I'd believe it, and I'd buy it by the truckload. Five Monks has the same fruit flavors.

Looks like we're porch bombing Slym?

Yep. Can't in good conscience let a friendly friend have an involuntary dry weekend.

Sweet. I was kind of already on this, in secret. Glad we agree.

893whatthe.gif

:eek:

hail.gif

Drinking an Abyss. Really not in the mood for it, regret cracking it. Trying not to waste it. Got about half down. Just too sweet. Wish I had done Rainiers instead, lol.

Yep, wasting a good amount of Abyss. I imagine many of my friendly friends would be disappoint. Just not a fan of most RIS these days. Cant do anything sweet anymore.

I still have the one you sent me. I should probably drink it.

If you have any CBC or champagne yeast and can re-cork, I'd open it up, add more yeast and let it sit a month more. Otherwise, drink it because it won't carb up any.

Last time I tried to deep-fry some chicken wings, it stunk up the kitchen horribly and SWMBO was pissed the rest of the night. No bueno.

Got some Jameson and settled in for TWD.

I take my electric skillet on the patio to fry chicken or crab cakes. Even I don't want that smell in the house afterwards.

Water. Soreness has caught up with me. Taking a <cough> sick day today to finish this flooring.

Ugh. Back to work today. Lots of football this week to balance it out at least. Having a camp and a scrimmage against a "local" team from the division below us on Saturday/Sunday. Only 6 days after that, our first game! Can't wait for that.

Not sure, now, when I'll have time to brew next though. I decided not to dry hop my rye pale ale while I was gone - they're going in today. Since my pipeline is now full AF thanks to this weekend, I've no need to rush it. It's been 15 days since pitching today. Will dry hop for 5 days, then cold crash for a few. Because of that, brew day can't be until next week at some point.

Another Oberon. See previous pic. Nightcap.

Nats season opens tomorrow. Joy. I've never understood baseball, and now I get to hear about it constantly. I get the rules, but my question is WHY?

Tradition. The somewhat relaxed pace of it all. Unlimited beers until the 7th inning. It's always fun to take the kids to a game. I really didn't start getting into baseball until maybe 8 to 10 years ago when the Phillies started to not suck.

Speaking of that stash:

From left to right:
Clock - American pale ale, American red ipa; Matuska - ipa, Apollo/Galaxy pale ale; Raven - blonde ipa.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459766082.522471.jpg

All from Permon:
Wheat, single hop ale, American pale ale, 5.7% IPA, 7.2% IPA, smoked ipa, and a stout.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459766235.270890.jpg

First two are kinda macro for here, but still solid beers. The first one is the same wheat wife drank often throughout the weekend, the other is a 16*L pale lager (you usually only see 10 and 12, now the 11 and the 16 have been catching on there in the last 5 years or so.) the next two are the pale and dark lagers from the first microbrewery we went to on the beer tour. Their name comes from what the Charles bridge used to be called, prazsky most (most means bridge). Their capping system apparently isn't top notch. Haha so we noticed that the pale started to leak a little while we were switching suitcases in Oslo (they destroyed wife's suitcase, gave us a new one). So I had to drink it outside of the Oslo airport!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459766342.232992.jpg

Next up, cheap (for us) Trappist beers! Wife loves them, I'm still looking for one I love.
Achel - blonde and brown; westmalle - tripel; chimay - gold; zundert - not sure how many styles they make, to be honest, but had to try this as I've never seen it around. Thinking I might enjoy the blonde, tripel, or chimay gold.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459767016.757016.jpg

Lastly, wife's picks. She wanted to get some sours since they're quite expensive here. Then she also likes Belgian wits, so she got that random one.
Red roeselare (I googled this one after the fact. Seems it's not red at all, but brown.); a tropical fruit sour; a peach sour; and a Belgian witbier.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459767233.834798.jpg

Also it seems I remembered wrong. Not sure if we got more than we were supposed to, but that's more like 15L!

Morning boozehards. Off to rural central Florida today for work the next couple of days. Some office time first though. Weather cooled off a bit so should be good for driving.

Speaking of that stash:

From left to right:
Clock - American pale ale, American red ipa; Matuska - ipa, Apollo/Galaxy pale ale; Raven - blonde ipa.
View attachment 348780

All from Permon:
Wheat, single hop ale, American pale ale, 5.7% IPA, 7.2% IPA, smoked ipa, and a stout.
View attachment 348781

First two are kinda macro for here, but still solid beers. The first one is the same wheat wife drank often throughout the weekend, the other is a 16*L pale lager (you usually only see 10 and 12, now the 11 and the 16 have been catching on there in the last 5 years or so.) the next two are the pale and dark lagers from the first microbrewery we went to on the beer tour. Their name comes from what the Charles bridge used to be called, prazsky most (most means bridge). Their capping system apparently isn't top notch. Haha so we noticed that the pale started to leak a little while we were switching suitcases in Oslo (they destroyed wife's suitcase, gave us a new one). So I had to drink it outside of the Oslo airport!
View attachment 348782

Next up, cheap (for us) Trappist beers! Wife loves them, I'm still looking for one I love.
Achel - blonde and brown; westmalle - tripel; chimay - gold; zundert - not sure how many styles they make, to be honest, but had to try this as I've never seen it around. Thinking I might enjoy the blonde, tripel, or chimay gold.
View attachment 348783

Lastly, wife's picks. She wanted to get some sours since they're quite expensive here. Then she also likes Belgian wits, so she got that random one.
Red roeselare (I googled this one after the fact. Seems it's not red at all, but brown.); a tropical fruit sour; a peach sour; and a Belgian witbier.
View attachment 348784

Also it seems I remembered wrong. Not sure if we got more than we were supposed to, but that's more like 15L!
American labels are so brash in comparison. You can easily tell American advertising versus European

Morning boozehards. Off to rural central Florida today for work the next couple of days. Some office time first though. Weather cooled off a bit so should be good for driving.

Rural Central Florida? Is that what you Tampites think of Orlando? Not enough homeless or strip clubs here? Or homeless strippers?
Just messing with you, where are you headed?

Okee dokee folks, here we go.
This is how we are going to work this out. I am going to ask a question, this question is a trivia question, star wars related and will be open book.
PM me the answer to the question and let me know if you had to look up the answer online.
On Monday, I will tally the answers. However many right answers there are, I will randomly select 3 to 5 entries, depending on how many responses are had. You, the friendly friend community, will decide on if these people are nerd enough to know the answer and those who are not. If people figure out if your are nerd or a googler accurately will win you a prize. In the event of a tie, a trivia question that has already been decided by me will be asked in a lighting round, no open book (honor system people) and the winner will be awarded a nice box of surprises by me in the next few weeks.
I'll postulate the question at about 10 Am this morning. Hopefully I can find this post again and repost it about half an hour prior to QOTD time.

Okay peoples.
Darth Vader's chest plate had a series of "words" on them. What did it translate to?
1-2-3 GO! PM me the answer to enter.

1.@Psylocide
2.@Dad23ds
3.@Pianoman
4.@Rhetorik
5.@Hunter_la5 (@m00ps isn't playing??)
6.@TheCadJockey
7.@MattMMille
8.@Banesong
9.@Blizzard
10.@MHurst111
11.@OneToedDogBrewery
12.@Helly
13.@WesleyS
14.@McBaumannerb
15.@AllenH
16.@DrainBamage
17.@Slym2None
18.@TheGreatUntaggable
19. @thatjonguy
20. @pointcity-homebrew

Entrants so far. Any other players?

Rural Central Florida? Is that what you Tampites think of Orlando? Not enough homeless or strip clubs here? Or homeless strippers?
Just messing with you, where are you headed?

Oh haha, just trying to be specific for folks that don't know the area. Working with the city of Fruitland Park outside of Leesburg.

Okee dokee folks, here we go.
This is how we are going to work this out. I am going to ask a question, this question is a trivia question, star wars related and will be open book.
PM me the answer to the question and let me know if you had to look up the answer online.
On Monday, I will tally the answers. However many right answers there are, I will randomly select 3 to 5 entries, depending on how many responses are had. You, the friendly friend community, will decide on if these people are nerd enough to know the answer and those who are not. If people figure out if your are nerd or a googler accurately will win you a prize. In the event of a tie, a trivia question that has already been decided by me will be asked in a lighting round, no open book (honor system people) and the winner will be awarded a nice box of surprises by me in the next few weeks.
I'll postulate the question at about 10 Am this morning. Hopefully I can find this post again and repost it about half an hour prior to QOTD time.

Okay peoples.
Darth Vader's chest plate had a series of "words" on them. What did it translate to?
1-2-3 GO! PM me the answer to enter.

1.@Psylocide
2.@Dad23ds
3.@Pianoman
4.@Rhetorik
5.@Hunter_la5 (@m00ps isn't playing??)
6.@TheCadJockey
7.@MattMMille
8.@Banesong
9.@Blizzard
10.@MHurst111
11.@OneToedDogBrewery
12.@Helly
13.@WesleyS
14.@McBaumannerb
15.@AllenH
16.@DrainBamage
17.@Slym2None
18.@TheGreatUntaggable

Entrants so far. Any other players?

I have failed in my nerddom. I have no clue and not going to punch it into the Googlemaschine.

My wife found these energy drinks called Celsius. They're actually really, really good.

Morning. Usual radio silence once I stop drinking so hope you all had decent few days off. Lazy weekend home playing with puppy in snow. Glad winter finally made it to our side of town. Some life decisions to be made now however, as my saison did not medal in competition, I have nothing. I am nothing. Insignificant.

Morning. Usual radio silence once I stop drinking so hope you all had decent few days off. Lazy weekend home playing with puppy in snow. Glad winter finally made it to our side of town. Some life decisions to be made now however, as my saison did not medal in competition, I have nothing. I am nothing. Insignificant.

Could always take it to market as an engine degreaser instead.
There's still some hope

I only have 2 unread emails as of right now. Both from clients. I'm not going to ruin my vacation by opening them.

I got it down to under 100 by the time I weeded out the office-wide mailers and miscellaneous junk, so...small victories.

The bigger problem is our department admin transferred to a new position at the end of last month, so now we're down 2 people with a hiring freeze and no overtime allowed except under emergency circumstances. I predict hardcore suckage for the foreseeable future. :mad:

Could always take it to market as an engine degreaser instead.
There's still some hope

Hehe. Kidding on the morning downer. I didn't expect to win, just wanted bjcp feedback. It should be coming in the mail within next few days I imagine. Love the saison. Last two are getting shipped out this week. Can't wait to make another, might actually try some rye for the first time.

Back