A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in no rush with this one. I just want it to be kickass come winter. The more time it has to leech flavour out of the oak cubes the better IMO

I'm a bit sauced.. apart from timeline, how do you think the recipe looks?

My only comment would be you probably don't need to soak the cubes for a full month. The wood can only hold so much. Put the cubes in some sealable container, fill with bourbon, check in 3-4 days, add bourbon to cover the cubes, repeat for 2 weeks and then dump it all (cubes and any non-absorbed alcohol) into secondary.

Damn, that's harder to get to than I was hoping. I'm in Fargo or grand forks a few times a year, but other than that don't get to the outskirts of ND.

It's Minot, I wouldn't come here unless you need to be here. Nothing wrong with the place but nothing special here either.

Unless you are into Scandinavia.

I'll kick your ass in Euchre... but not in chess.

Don't think I've ever played Euchre. I was never a big card game player. I was always a decent chess player though. Haven't played in a long time. My wife barely knows the rules and I beat her swiftly every time so she won't play with me any more.

I did win a game of Kings in the Corner on the first hand once. My grandmother made me a plaque for it (I was young, 6 or 7 I think, I remember sitting on the floor of a cottage somewhere in rural Scotland at the time).

Alright, so I'm totally totally making that brew, and it's gonna be amazing.

I'd share with you all, but I'M NEVER INVITED TO THE REINDEER GAMES

I'm in no rush with this one. I just want it to be kickass come winter. The more time it has to leech flavour out of the oak cubes the better IMO

I'm a bit sauced.. apart from timeline, how do you think the recipe looks?

Recipe looks great. This past fall I did a BB RIS. Aged the oak during the time it was in primary about 3 wks. Finished up around 9% aged in secondary for 6 wks. Bottled around thanksgiving. They drank great around Christmas. Had one about a month ago,almost all of the oak taste was gone. I would hate to see what 10 months do to it. I have 3 bombers left that I need to drink soon.

Recipe looks great. This past fall I did a BB RIS. Aged the oak during the time it was in primary about 3 wks. Finished up around 9% aged in secondary for 6 wks. Bottled around thanksgiving. They drank great around Christmas. Had one about a month ago,almost all of the oak taste was gone. I would hate to see what 10 months do to it. I have 3 bombers left that I need to drink soon.

See? Mine was on the oak for 10 days. It's great.

It also has a metric fvcktonne of coffee in it. And quite a bit of chocolate. It's a KBS clone but it's not the KBS I remember.

So to bring things back to punk rock... a bit of a mix.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWC_AckxYj0[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moPY9_wqH-8[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQM00K24qG8[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVRuH4vJWg[/ame]

Just transferred my red rye DIPA to my other LBK, as even holding out the last quart or so from the kettle (which I cold-crashed for a few days & got about 12oz more into the FV :D ) I had, to use '77s term, a "metric fvcktonne" of trub still in the bottom - especially after adding 3oz of hops pellets for dry-hopping. I took a gravity sample because, well, it was time. It got down to 1.012. I missed my OG by 6 points, and it went 4 points lower than calculated. I was trying to make a big DIPA (as the last beer I made was supposed to be a "small" DIPA but turned into a 9% monster) but this is just at the low-end of the DIPA range with an ABV of 7.85%.

Regardless of numbers, this smells AMAZING. I will admit, I am not getting any "dank" from the Nelson, but it still has the best aroma of any beer I've made, I do believe. I put the gravity sample in a bottle, added some table sugar, and will taste this on Sunday night when I bottle the rest.

I am still thinking about using gelatin on this batch. I want a Gavin_C-clear beer, especially using the Red X malt. I'll add that tomorrow night.

It's Minot, I wouldn't come here unless you need to be here. Nothing wrong with the place but nothing special here either.

Unless you are into Scandinavia.

Well I did marry a Swedish gal,... Guess that means I'm into Scandinavia...

I don't do the Bismarck/Minot tour to often, but sometimes have to for work. Sounds like I may have a place to spend some company money soon? Nice.

Ugh. Perhaps two RIS beers last night was a bad idea. It's gonna be a long morning. I don't know what I need more of right now coffee or water

Okee dokee, QOTD
What was the beer that got you into craft?
I remember having brunch with my girl friend at the time (who is now my wife). 1030 in the morning at Cherry Hill Mall were Houlihans once was, we ordered our meals. She ordered a coke, I said you know what, I'll have a Sam Adams. They were out of Boston Lager so I said I would try the Winter Lager. I didn't realize up till that point that beer could have a taste. Prior to that it was Yuengling, cheap BMC and pints of cheap whiskey every night or so.

Okee dokee, QOTD
I remember having brunch with my girl friend at the time (who is now my wife). 1030 in the morning at Cherry Hill Mall were Houlihans once was, we ordered our meals. She ordered a coke, I said you know what, I'll have a Sam Adams. They were out of Boston Lager so I said I would try the Winter Lager. I didn't realize up till that point that beer could have a taste. Prior to that it was Yuengling, cheap BMC and pints of cheap whiskey every night or so.

QOTD: Arrogant B@stard. Couldn't kill the 22, but it sparked my interest in things more than MGD and Miller Lite.

QOTD: I'm not sure if you count Guiness or Killians, but those got me out of the old Bud and Miller routine. But then I discovered Sol Sun, which is now Oberon, by Bells. I lived in Kalamazoo and that beer really opened my eyes to the fact that beer could be a lot of different things.

Mooring.

QOTD: Besides Blue Moon getting me interested in trying other beers, Empyrean's Dark Side Vanilla Porter and Surly Coffee Bender really opened my eyes to the vast variety of beer out there that I had never heard of/thought to try previously.

I always drank Guinness, but never considered it as branching out.

QOTD

Good morning. Got an early start today with yoga and nice breakfast. Trying to keep the bad feels at bay, yesterday was not good.

My switch to craft was pretty gradual, I'm not sure I can pinpoint the exact beer. So many years of college were spent drinking Coors because it was cheap, Yuengling when I had an extra buck or two. I did become obsessed with Hoegaarden after the first time I had it, which led me to search out other similar beers. At that point, I found UFO and it became my absolute favorite for at least a year or two. Eventually I found SNPA and it was all over from there.

Just so @BGBC can see it's not empty. About 15 or 16# of hops.

Still a lot of empty space on those shelves. Reported.

QOTD: Arrogant B@stard. Couldn't kill the 22, but it sparked my interest in things more than MGD and Miller Lite.

Probably this for me as well. Had a few non-Keystone light beers in college, some Long Trail, Pumpkinhead, Harpoon, etc, but I remember my first pint of Arrogant Bastard at the bar below my first apt in NYC. Probably ordered it just for the name, palate was walloped for the rest of the night.

Good morning. Got an early start today with yoga and nice breakfast. Trying to keep the bad feels at bay, yesterday was not good.

My switch to craft was pretty gradual, I'm not sure I can pinpoint the exact beer. So many years of college were spent drinking Coors because it was cheap, Yuengling when I had an extra buck or two. I did become obsessed with Hoegaarden after the first time I had it, which led me to search out other similar beers. At that point, I found UFO and it became my absolute favorite for at least a year or two. Eventually I found SNPA and it was all over from there.

This is pretty much the exact blue print I expect to see the most of. Macro to Wit to SNPA.

Okee dokee, QOTD

I was on a vacation with my father in Crested Butte, CO enjoying the atmosphere and mountain biking. I believe we were there for 3 nights or so during the summer. I was about 20 at the time, so my knowledge was BMC and pretty much every liquor ever made (PhD intoxicology Florida State University). One of the nights, my dad asked if he should pick up some beer. I said sure, and described the New Belgium Fat Tire bomber that I had seen earlier in the nearby convenience store. Since this was about 16 years ago, I doubt NB distributed outside of CO. So, we chilled it and cracked it open. Man, that was a tasty beer, and he tried it and agreed as well. We spent the next summer there the following year with my younger bro, and made the Fat Tire a tradition. I haven't been back since, but those were some great memories in God's Country, and can't wait to go back. :mug:

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

QOTD Sam Adams for me. Had it at a bar on the coast somewhere in Rhode Island, with a stuffed quahog too! Man oh man I had me some good times during my short stint on the east coast.

Last edited:
Well I did marry a Swedish gal,... Guess that means I'm into Scandinavia...

I don't do the Bismarck/Minot tour to often, but sometimes have to for work. Sounds like I may have a place to spend some company money soon? Nice.

Winning!

Well if it doesn't end up working out, I can still point you in a good direction to spend it. Lol.

QOTD: I'm not sure if you count Guiness or Killians, but those got me out of the old Bud and Miller routine. But then I discovered Sol Sun, which is now Oberon, by Bells. I lived in Kalamazoo and that beer really opened my eyes to the fact that beer could be a lot of different things.

I will add this - I still drank mostly BMC beer after being introduced to Sol Sun/Oberon (which was in the early 1990s). The beer that made it so craft beer was the staple of my beer diet was absolutely Two Hearted Ale, in the mid 00s.

Side note, what do you call the decade from 2000 to 2010? I want to start saying things like "back in aught-five..." but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. How about the current decade? Man, ****'s going to make a lot more sense in about 5 years when we can go back to saying "in the 20s" ann such.

I think it was Sam Adams Boston Ale. But what really clicked for me was Chimay Blue. That was when there was no turning back.

I remember being entirely stoked at getting a bottle of Blue as a house warming present. Popping that bottle, sitting on the floor and getting splinters will be a memory I'll hold on to for a long, long time.

Back