a few questions about fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JERRYB

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a begginer at brewing beer and I have a few questions.

I read that after you cock the beer and after it has fermenated once you need to put the beer in a bottle with some corn suger for a second fermentaition.
I understand that the fermentation is done by using the oxigen in the bottle untill there is no more oxigen in the bottle and only CO2 is left in the bottle and than the CO2 is supposed to keep the beer from getting spoiled.
my question is how come when I open a keg in a pub and I use CO2 to push the beer to the tap the beer is getting spoiled aftert some time?

and another question: after I cocked the beer can I just put it inside a keg to fermenate and than after a while drink from it instead of transfering it to a fermentation tank and bottling after.?

thanks for your help.

I second reading howtobrew.com because it'll give you the knowledge you need to brew beer.

But, the short answer to your question is this: the co2 is NOT what keeps the beer from spoiling- the co2 is what carbonates the beer. The reason beer in bottles doesn't spoil is because it is capped. If you serve tap beer with dirty lines, the beer will be affected. If you keep your lines clean and the taps clean (and don't allow oxygen or room air into the keg/lines), it'll be fine.

Putting your wort into a keg to ferment would not be a good idea. You'll have about six inches or more of junk on the bottom of the keg and there would be no room for fermentation to take place. You use a fermenter (a 7.5 gallon plastic pail is fine) and then transfer into either bottles or the keg. This gives you the headspace you need for fermentation and also leaves all the junk ("trub") behind in the original fermenter.

Back