A few more questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libertyman

Reaction score
Some more newb questions:

1) Do I need to use a siphon to fill each bottle of beer, or is there an easier or more affective way? I dont believe a can siphon my beer from my fermentor to a bucket and than dip the bottles in (seems like that would allow bacteria and also kick around the beer adding oxygen).
2) What is the best way to siphon out the beer to get a hydrometer reading, I didnt do one yesterday when I first made the batch, but it hasnt started fermenting so I think I can still take one? Can I put the test sample beer back in the fermentor or do I need to toss that in case there is bacteria on it?

Everybody here rocks, thanks so much. Ive been reading all morning and all night about brewing, my brain's starting to hurt but its great!

The easiest way to bottle is get a bottling bucket and then use a bottling wand to fill the bottles. If you don't have a bucket with a spigot on it, I don't know what would be the best way to do it. I definitely wouldn't dip my bottles into the bucket, way too much chance for infection.

As far as a hydrometer reading, a wine thief will work well, but I just use my autosiphon (get one if you don't have one). If you're using a bucket instead of a carboy, just sanitize a cup and carefully dip it in to take a sample. And by god don't throw it out, drink that wonderful goodness when you're done. :)

Bottle Filler is the best way to fill the bottles.

As far as samples go, I use a turkey baster to get some beer out to measure, don't put it back in though, not worth the risk, drink it:mug:

Great, I actually have a bottle filler then, I got the start up pack. How exactly does it work. I wish there were more directions with my packet. Also, is it harmful to open up the batch to take the sample? I thaught I had to keep it pluged as long as possible, preferably untill bottleing time?

I suppose a wine theif is what I own?

I take the OG reading when I siphon from the kettle to the fermenter. I leave mine in primary for 10 days, secondary for 10 days, then bottle. I take my FG reading when I siphon from secondary to the bottling bucket. I wouldn't open a fermenter for a SG sample unless I thought there is a good possibility that it is done fermenting, (eg. not after 2-3 days, but 9-10 days, sure).

libertyman said:
Great, I actually have a bottle filler then, I got the start up pack. How exactly does it work.

use a 2-3 foot long piece of tubing between the spigot on the bottling bucket and the bottle filler, turn the handle to open the spigot, put the filler in a bottle and push down. Fill the bottle right to the top, when you remove the bottle filler, it leaves a perfect amount of headspace. Then cap it up

Back