A.E.B Dont forget about your water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BxBrewer

Reaction score
Instead of burring this in the Advanced extract brewing thread. I decided to make a new post. We know water plays a big role in how our beer will come out. Some people even go to the extreme of buying bottled water.

What i did was buy a whole house filter and add hose fittings to it. The filter i use is a charcoal filter. Although my water is good already. Filtering water has seen an improvement .

Totally agree. Filtering water is essential, especially if you're doing partial boils. I brewed a few batches a while back with unfiltered tap water (I got lazy), and the difference was huge. Some of those batches had a nasty flavor. It was as if fermentation enhanced the chlorine that was in the tap water. I brewed a hefeweizen that was just undrinkable. I had to pour the whole batch down the drain.

I've been running all of my water through a Brita filter ever since.

Keep that filter vertical.

Gravity helps to draw more/circulate/filter in the chamber

Cheers!!

This type of filter seals from both ends. I don't think the orientation matters. I did start by propping it up. To me there is no difference which way its orientated.

This type of filter seals from both ends. I don't think the orientation matters. I did start by propping it up. To me there is no difference which way its orientated.

Im talking contact to filter surface and design within of how water should flow.
Either way im sure its doing an ok job.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back