A couple questions on fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colin985

Reaction score
Hey there.... I'm a noob to brewing just started a few months ago.. Just brewing my sixth batch as I write this ( A rasberry wheat ). So I got all excited when I first got going and because my first (and last)can kit said to ferment between 18 and 24 degrees celcius, I cleared a space out in small room in my basement that includes my hot water tank and my electric fernace. I figured the room would maintain a temperature between 18 and 22 degrees celcius throughout the year but never put a themometer in there so I was just guessing. So my first and second brews turned out alright but my third and fourth brew had a bad solvent smell and taste. After I first noticed this (when bottling my third brew) I started reading and realized this was probably due to high fermentation temperatures. Unfortunately my fourth brew had already spent two weeks in this environment and I confirmed today that I have the same problem with it. So I cleared out another cooler area of my basement and moved everything over there, its maintaining a temperature of about 60 degrees farenheight. So my questions are; will the solvent taste dissipate over time? And should I add a little heat to my new brew spot 60 degrees may be a little low? Thanks a lot for any help or advice you can offer me.

Hey there.... I'm a noob to brewing just started a few months ago.. Just brewing my sixth batch as I write this ( A rasberry wheat ). So I got all excited when I first got going and because my first (and last)can kit said to ferment between 18 and 24 degrees celcius, I cleared a space out in small room in my basement that includes my hot water tank and my electric fernace. I figured the room would maintain a temperature between 18 and 22 degrees celcius throughout the year but never put a themometer in there so I was just guessing. So my first and second brews turned out alright but my third and fourth brew had a bad solvent smell and taste. After I first noticed this (when bottling my third brew) I started reading and realized this was probably due to high fermentation temperatures. Unfortunately my fourth brew had already spent two weeks in this environment and I confirmed today that I have the same problem with it. So I cleared out another cooler area of my basement and moved everything over there, its maintaining a temperature of about 60 degrees farenheight. So my questions are; will the solvent taste dissipate over time? And should I add a little heat to my new brew spot 60 degrees may be a little low? Thanks a lot for any help or advice you can offer me.

60 should be fine.

Brewing Vienna lager. Set fermenter outside temp. Dropped to 38 degrees. Overnight. Brought back inside to warm up.. Should I add another pack of yeast to get it going.

ctindell said:
Brewing Vienna lager. Set fermenter outside temp. Dropped to 38 degrees. Overnight. Brought back inside to warm up.. Should I add another pack of yeast to get it going.

I don't brew lagers so I can't give the best advice. But what I do know is your supposed to pitch massive amounts of yeast compared to ales. Someone with more experience will probably chime in with better help.

unionrdr said:
There are ale yeasts that will go dormant at 60F. But US-05 will ferment that low. What yeast did you use?

It was a lager yeast. I believe breeders

Lager yeasts need to go down to 50F or so to work properly. But manufacturers instructions generally say o stat warm to get the yeast going,then slowly ramp the temp down to the lower end of the yeasts range for good,clean fermentation.

unionrdr said:
Lager yeasts need to go down to 50F or so to work properly. But manufacturers instructions generally say o stat warm to get the yeast going,then slowly ramp the temp down to the lower end of the yeasts range for good,clean fermentation.

It was midstream of fermentation stage was my concern.. I had about 6 days left before I needed to transfer to secondary then start dropping temp.

Back