a couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emil_brogaard

Reaction score
hey people.

my first batch of beer is on it's first day, and im starting to think about what to do next.

so here's my questions

i've heard a lot about second fermentors, where you pour you beer into a new bucket. why is this? isn't the second fermentation going on in the bottles?

and my other question is, how do you add flavors? i've tasted beers with hints of liqorice, chocolate or fruit, when is this added, and how?

any answer would be aprechiated

i've heard a lot about second fermentors, where you pour you beer into a new bucket.

Make sure you siphon, as opposed to pouring, your beer to a secondary. The purpose of racking to a secondary is to separate your beer from the trub (sediment at the bottom of the primary fermenter). Most brewers here will tell you to skip this step, unless as you mentioned, you want to impart additional flavors. Flavor additives and additional hops should be introduced to your beer after you've racked to the secondary.

Good luck with your first brew! :mug:

1. Never pour into a secondary. Always siphon. Pouring introduces oxygen to the beer and can impart it with a cardboard flavor. There is a huge debate on whether or not a secondary is necessary and it basically comes down to preference.

2. Flavors are usually added to secondary via extracts. Some people use fresh fruit or other additives. The process varies tremendously for each type of addition besides extracts which are usually 1-2oz @ bottling time.

Hey congrats on your first beer.

For you first question check out this thread, basically you dont have to secondary unless you are dry hopping or adding fruit etc
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/

As for your second question, there are a lot of different ways to add flavors. Generally your malts, yeast, and hops all can have unique flavors. For example certain yeasts give bubblegum, banana, or clove like flavors. Certain hops give tropical fruit or citrus flavors. Certain malts taste like honey or chocolate.

As for the flavors you asked about: chocolate could be added by adding chocolate malt or cocoa powder or cocoa nibs. Fruit flavor can be added by adding actual fruit (to secondary as you will start another fermentation from the added sugar), by adding fruit puree, or by adding fruit flavoring right before bottling. Licorice flavor can be added by adding brewers licorice.

Finally, the fermentation that happens in a bottle is a controlled fermentation that occurs because you add a specific amount of fermentables to achieve carbonation. It is very important that you bottle after you are entirely sure that the rest of your fermentation has finished so that you do not risk your bottles exploding.

wow, thanks for all the answers. half an hour, and already a great bunch of answers. it's really helpful, and i think i've got a basic understanding now

dbhokie, im from denmark, and not liking liqorice, is like not liking carlsberg ;)

i have no idea why we do it, but we are probably the one of the only people who eats it

Latest posts

Back