A couple hopstopper ideas with my turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr x

Reaction score
I bought a 35 qt. turkey fryer for brewing, and was looking around for ideas for trub and hops separation.

My first idea was to use a pizza screen as a press (like a bodum coffee press), isolate the hops and other undesirables, and siphon from above the screen. I should be able to get a fairly snug fit by using some sliced 1/4 teflon tubing around the edge of the screen for a seal.

The fryer came with a perforated basket. I then got thinking about lining this with some fine screen and leaving it in for my boil, then lifting everything out in one pull.

Has anyone tried any of these methods before?

I like the second idea but it's gonna be a pain to clean. You could use hop bags. You'll still have break material but it's nothing like all the hop sludge you get from pellets.

mr x said:
The fryer came with a perforated basket. I then got thinking about lining this with some fine screen and leaving it in for my boil, then lifting everything out in one pull.

Has anyone tried any of these methods before?

I'm doing that for my MLT. I figure it'll help me extract more wort from the grains and make clean up a lot easier.

Bobby_M said:
I like the second idea but it's gonna be a pain to clean. You could use hop bags. You'll still have break material but it's nothing like all the hop sludge you get from pellets.
I don't think it should be too bad, the whole unit can be upside down and rinsed clean from the outside.

Yes, that is a concern. The basket sits right on the bottom of the pot. There is very little space (maybe two millimeters around the outside), but I'll have to think about that. The basket holes are slightly smaller than a dime, and would be covered with mesh.

That's possible too. I wanted to siphon it through my chiller, but I've still got a few options. I could use some standoffs with the basket and get rid of a good portion of hops, whirlpool the rest and siphon the wort through my chiller, let it drop through a strainer to filter the rest and aerate. Or drop the basket altogether. I picked up a couple pizza pans cheap, and I may try the press option.

I've tried several things. The thing that works the best, with both a kettle you're going to siphon from or a kettle with a pickup tube is a fine mesh bag. Here's what I'm using now. You either need to use a step coupling, or put a big rubber band or something for the hose clamp to bite into.

hop%20filter.jpg

Lil' Sparky said:
I've tried several things. The thing that works the best, with both a kettle you're going to siphon from or a kettle with a pickup tube is a fine mesh bag. Here's what I'm using now. You either need to use a step coupling, or put a big rubber band or something for the hose clamp to bite into.

In that design, do you use a new bag each time, or get several uses out of one?

Bobby_M said:
You plan on using a copper or stainless racking cane right? Don't try a plastic one.

You've got a counterflow or plate chiller?
Stainless cane. Counterflow chiller.

Lil' Sparky said:

08hopsbag.jpg

I like this thing. I'm gonna replace the four "arms" with a pair of eye hooks that i'll hang over the keggle side. There's really no major benefit that I can see to keeping it centered in the pot.

I know my DIY hopstopper works with a moderate mix of pellet and leaf hops but certainly not a LOT of pellet hops on their own. In any case, I think the bag idea will always works and probably make cleanup a lot easier since I won't have to remove the hopstopper as part of the process.

Sparky, have you stripped the screen off your dip tube or do you leave it as a hot break catcher?

I haven't been using the SS mesh on the dip tube. It seemed like just one more thing to clean. I think I actually dorked it up a little when I "redesigned" the one you sent. When installed it really flattened out on the opposite side of the pickup and seemed to clog a little too easy. The hopstopper that you buy has a dome shape designed into it to avoid this.

One note on that mesh bag contraption (I think we should name it the hopbagger ;) ). Since the mesh is so fine, it takes a while to drain. I'm going to find a way to suspend it above the keggle to allow the bag to drain as the keggle's draining through the CFC. Right now I just kind of pull it over the side and let it hang there.

Be sure to post up some pics of your hopbagger++ if you make it. You seem to have good DIY ideas about things like this.

alt_12323975.jpg

Imagine inverting this and maybe fastening another piece of screen on the bottom and some more screen on the inside for added filtration. Nice amount of surface area, and a nice solid design.

Since siphoning from inside this rig, I don't have to wash my yeast at all. Wort comes out clear as a bell and then I scoop the hops mush out and strain it through a paper towel lined colandar.

5 gallon paint strainter form Lowe's...about $2.00.

My fermenter before this gizmo:
Chiller_Filter_1.jpg

The Gizmo:
Chiller_Filter_2.jpg

My next batch using the gizmo:
Chiller_Filter_4.jpg

Lil' Sparky said:
I haven't been using the SS mesh on the dip tube. It seemed like just one more thing to clean. I think I actually dorked it up a little when I "redesigned" the one you sent. When installed it really flattened out on the opposite side of the pickup and seemed to clog a little too easy. The hopstopper that you buy has a dome shape designed into it to avoid this.

Based on the way my dip tube is, my screen still holds quite a bit of three dimesional quality. No matter, it still gags on 4-5 oz of pure pellet hops and hot break. I'd bet the true hopstopper has problems at this rate anyway.

My next batch I will use a hop bag and I'll leave the screen on the dip tube just to see how much hot break actually stays in the kettle. I've got an idea for a suspension method for both the in boil and draining positions. We'll see how it works out.

Cheesefood said:
alt_12323975.jpg

Imagine inverting this and maybe fastening another piece of screen on the bottom and some more screen on the inside for added filtration. Nice amount of surface area, and a nice solid design.

I'm also thinking about grabbing a bunch of stainless tea balls at the Asian grocery and use one for each hop addition. Just chuck them in. I just bought one the size of a baseball for dryhopping in my kegs.. looks promising and I only paid $2.99. Gotta make sure it's 304 stainless, most are 18-8.

18-8 stainless is not very stainless at all. I'd say it's good for intermittent use in damp areas but you wouldn't want to leave it wet for too long or it'll rust. I especially wouldn't dry hop with it until the keg kicks (which is what I do).

Personally, I use nothing but 316, but I was of the opinion that 18-8 and 304 are the same .

'The term "18-8" is used interchangeably to characterize fittings made of 302, 302HQ, 303, 304, 305, 384, XM7, and other variables of these grades with close chemical compositions. There is little overall difference in corrosion resistance among the "18-8" types, but slight differences in chemical composition do make certain grades more resistant than others do against particular chemicals or atmospheres.'

orfy said:
I use whole leaf but it stopps the seeds. And it then use the srcubby for cleaning.

I've been looking for copper or steel scrubbies, but I can't find anything even close. They don't sell them in the states, I guess.

Cheesefood said:
I've been looking for copper or steel scrubbies, but I can't find anything even close. They don't sell them in the states, I guess.

Sure they do. "Chore Boy," I believe, is the brand name. They're with all the other kitchen-cleaning supplies, probably right next to the Brillo pads.

orfy said:
This has gotta be the cheapest easiest option.
KISS

PICT0001.JPG
I have to say this worked excellent for me. I used 2 oz of pellet hops even. with another 4 oz of leaf hops. I did not use an actual pots and pans type scrubbie though since I was having trouble finding them myself. I just bought some stainless BBQ scrubber refills. Worked great!

FWIW, I did end up finding the other style scrubbies at a grocery outlet.:drunk:

Latest posts

Back