A Controversial Question: What is the best crappy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shiner Bock, Yuengling, Lone Star

I hate to put Shiner on the list because I have such fond memories of the beer. Me and my brothers have emptied countless bottles. My older bro swears it's the "perfect beer". It has a massive cult following around here, and most people in the area seem to associate it with craft beer....

....But let's face it, Shiner Bock is little more than a macro adjunct lager that's been colored brown. It's a "bock" only in name. I love the stuff, but I would hardly call it "great" beer. It's what I drink when I want something light and relatively flavorless, but don't want horsepiss BMC.

PBR for me. At my local Speedway I can get a 6 pack of 16oz cans for $5.

If I'm broke and want to drink it's usually because I just want to get plowed. If that's the case I'll get mickeys all the way.
If I'm at a place that doesn't serve local beer or micro brews then it's old bohemian or pbr. If they have neither then it's a poor man's lemonade! I can't drink miller/bud light if it's more than $1 a beer. It's horrible and I wont pay for it.

No such thing as "crappy beer." Every beer has its place. I'm not sure there's any beer I just flat-out wouldn't drink under the right circumstances. My go-to cheap one used to be Stroh's. I don't know anymore, but it used to be the only cheap yellow beer made without adjuncts. It was delicious.

It's been so long since I had any cheap "crappy" beer I honestly can't say. I do remember PBR being slightly better than the rest though. I remember drinking a SNPA once and then for some reason a Coors Light right after and the CL tasted like bananas. I'll never forget that.

PBR, Rainer, Old Style, or Old german, or all fine if they are fresh. Michelob (the regular) is actually fairly good, if I want to spend an extra buck fifty.

If I am drinking some cheap mass produced beer, I prefer some vitamin R.

481694_4309154482196_823480179_n.jpg

Really ? No HFC in PBR ?

From Mitch Steele:

5. Dextrose and Corn Syrups are used primarily by big brewers usually to lighten flavor, and in some cases to reduce production costs. Dextrose powder is a common ingredient in craft brewed double IPAs. In England, most ales are made with the addition of brewing sugars (which contribute flavor and fermentable sugar), and have been made that way for well over 100 years. Most Belgian Trappist beers are brewed with a portion of candi-sugar syrup. Brewers use corn, rice or sugars because the sugars are almost 100% fermented by yeast. Consumers are not drinking “corn syrup.”

The use of “adjuncts,” such as rice or corn began in the United States in the 1800s because American malt was of suspect quality and sometimes resulted in harsh, heavy beer. At the time, big brewers were located in the midwest —St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cincinnati — where the summers are brutally hot. American consumers wanted a lighter, more refreshing beer. Brewers added adjuncts to compensate for the kinds of barley/malt they had access to.

Come on now, do a little homework.

I can't remember the last time I actually bought crappy beer....Rolling Rock probably.

The best beer when there is no good beer is a free beer, otherwise water for me.

heck even i can taste hfc in a beer, pbr is loaded with it ! granted its cheap but you get what you pay for.

Trolling troll is trolling.

I'll second Black Label. I've had it fairly recently and it's a cut above the rest.

25 oz Milwaukee's Best Ice for flavor (I know, it's antithetical - isn't it? but hey -you get a 'bonus' ounce for 'free'), Steel Reserve for effect (8.5% abv).

Back when I was in the Army (more than 2 decades ago), a 40 oz Haffenreffer Private Stock was my weapon of choice, and a favorite of our Medical Platoon. Good thing I was able to give myself an I.V. to rehydrate. A few of those would severely deplete the ol' electrolyte level, and a five mile run after a hard night of drinking could be a rather unpleasant experience without a little self-med.

Grain belt

Old Milwaukee

Steel reserve

Busch light

All are regulars in my fridge. I'm not embarrassed by it either. I make all my "good" beer

Sent from myPhone

Some protest because Shiner Bock is listed in this crappy beer list, but I'll add Shiner to the list of crappy beers I drink. So that makes it, Dos Equis Lager Especial (the green bottle), Miller Lite, and Shiner Bock for me. Shiner is good enough to drink but not worth the hype and totally misses the mark. It's only a bock because they call it one, otherwise, there's no resemblance.
Have you tried the Shiner Black Lager? Not bad.

Coors Light and Keystone Light. Either one is just fine to me. The reason being is that I can drink 6-8 of these in a night and NOT wake up with a headache in the morning. On the other hand, I can drink just two Bud Lights or just one Natural Light and I will wake up the next morning with a headache. I think Bud Light Platinum does the same thing as well. I avoid AB products because of this.

25 oz Milwaukee's Best Ice for flavor (I know, it's antithetical - isn't it? but hey -you get a 'bonus' ounce for 'free'), Steel Reserve for effect (8.5% abv).

Back when I was in the Army (more than 2 decades ago), a 40 oz Haffenreffer Private Stock was my weapon of choice, and a favorite of our Medical Platoon. Good thing I was able to give myself an I.V. to rehydrate. A few of those would severely deplete the ol' electrolyte level, and a five mile run after a hard night of drinking could be a rather unpleasant experience without a little self-med.
Good old Army beer. In my day, it depended where you were. They had a good selection of imports at the Enlisted Club at Ft. Sill. The odd mass market options that I remember most...or least, as the case may be...were tall boys of Strohs, Schlitz malt liquor and for some reason, Blatz on tap at Ft. Knox, They also canned Coors as some places on post at Knox when it was still not available east of the river. Realistically, at that age, I was just looking for beer most of the time.....or liquor when we could get one of the guys who was 21 to go up and buy drinks.

Speights... (because you have all heard of that) i bought a crate just this weekend gone because my stocks are looking a bit depleted and its easier than cleaning the really horrible bottles i got out of the garage and it seemed almost flavourless

I don't about "crappy" beer, but my favorite cheep beer is probably high life. However, I've been digging Big Flats a little lately. At $3.19 a six pack it's pretty good.

I also like mickeys from time to time.

Not much choice around here. If I'm out of homebrew I can buy San Miguel Pale Pilsen, San Miguel Red Horse or San Miguel Light.

The Light is like a nasty alcoholic soft drink without any sugar - so that's out. Red Horse is only tolerable with an ice cube in the glass, so most of the time I settle for the Pale Pilsen. On a hot day, a very cold one can hit the spot, but its too sweet for me to drink regularly.

The best beer I can get from San Miguel is by mixing their Super Dry (another pilsen) and Cerveza Negra (a black lager) half and half. Makes a reasonable brownish, malty drink that only lacks a little hops. An added incentive behind this mixture is both beers come in amber, long necked bottles with paper labels I can soak off - rather than printed bottles. But neither of those beers are available within 25km of my house.

Have you tried the Shiner Black Lager? Not bad.

It's good, but like Shiner Bock, I feel it's sort of one dimensional. It's dark, mild aroma, with a chocolate note in the flavor. When I want a dark lager I go with Austin Beerworks Black Thunder. Karbach Mother-in-Lager is a great beer, but I believe it's seasonal. I don't come across it regularly.

I drink Shiner beers from time to time. There's just so many more Texas beers that I prefer.

Used to drink the Genny in college in 2011. I thought it was slightly better than the rest and for $13/30pack.

I know a lot of people put Yuengling into the group with the rest of these beers because its a macrobrew, so that would be my choice.

Grain belt

Old Milwaukee

Steel reserve

Busch light

All are regulars in my fridge. I'm not embarrassed by it either. I make all my "good" beer

Sent from myPhone

I forgot about Steel Reserve. I used to buy individual tall boys at the gas station for a dollar. It's pretty flavorful for a drink aimed toward those who just want to catch a buzz.

I forgot about Steel Reserve. I used to buy individual tall boys at the gas station for a dollar. It's pretty flavorful for a drink aimed toward those who just want to catch a buzz.

24oz steely for $1.29 @ 8.1% abv can't be beat sometimes!!!

Sent from myPhone

Back