A Controversial Question: What is the best crappy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KendallAdkins

Reaction score
This doesn't have anything to do with homebrewing, which I realize is slightly inappropriate on this forum.

But when you get in the situation where you are out of homebrew and the bank account is looking slim, what crappy beers do you guys like? Or hate the least...

PBR, Natty, Keystone, Bud Light, Budweiser, Miller Lite, Coors Light, Rolling Rock, Milwaukee's Best, et cetera.

I'll always go for PBR.. i don't know if its' the Portland in me and PBR is everywhere or what. But PBR for me!
However, when i did live in the midwest for a few years, i found myself drinking miller lite/high life and Genessee for cheap beer fixin'

I'd go PBR, Miller Lite, and Budweiser for my top 3 crummy beers. PBR is clearly #1, while #2 and #3 are fairly equivalent IMO.

The answer here is to appreciate any beer for what it is. PBR has regularly won medals in it's category at the GABF. To be honest, I'm not sure I've ever had PBR.

It's been a while since i've had it, but as i recall, the original Coor's (often labeled banquet beer) is pretty good for what it is as well.

There's another way to cut the price of any beer in half. Drink a glass of water between every glass of beer. It will do a good job of keeping you from getting too drunk, and save you some money on your liquor store/bar tab. I know that I can enjoy a six pack of Anti-Hero and a six pack of water more than I'll enjoy a 12 pack of Budweiser, and they're probably close to the same price.

Dos Equis, and now cars look both ways for me before driving down the street.

I also enjoy Miller Lite. I guess I like the corn.

My vote goes to Pacifico, especially in the summer. It's got a soft spot in my heart/fridge because my wife and I spent our honeymoon in cabo drinking 2-for-1 pacificos

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Milwaukee's Best (BEAST)

Yeah, The Beast is my cutoff. Literally the only beer I've ever had that I wouldn't drink if it was free. I'd need to be making some money. Lol. I can handle Natty, Keystone, Bud Ice, whatever. Not The Beast. More power to you, though.

PBR here. I might not even wait until I'm out of other beers. It's actually not bad for a lighter style.

No question about it.....Rolling Rock:mug:! Reminds me of my youth, the carpenters in my family, would always drink it on the jobsite. Construction beer if you will. Now just a guilty pleasure, and a memory of good days gone by, and of lost loved ones.

Definitely Yuengling, although it's not sold in California (I'm originally from the East Coast/Midwest).

I also don't mind Rolling Rock, Corona, or Pacifico when it comes to crappy beer.

The two beers people have mentioned that, on the other hand, I really can't stand are Coors Lite (my all-time most hated beer) and PBR.

If forced to buy beer because the homebrew is running low or out - Corona Light or Dos Equis or Negra Modelo are the ones I'll bring home.

I don't know if I'd put Negra Modelo In the crap beer category price wise. Maybe it's cheaper where you are but it usually on par price wise with whatever craft beer is on sale around here.

I don't do it often, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for Beast light. It got me through college. It always brings back find memories when I crack on open.

Also occasionally enjoy some PBR, lone star, or miller high life (<- it's the champagne of beers...it says so on the bottle ! )

I drink PBR when it is on tap occasionally, and I will bring a case of it to tailgates as a lighter beer since we are drinking for 6-8 hours.

I also drink Coors Light at my local dive bar. They have $1.50 pints all day everyday, so you can't go wrong there.

Rolling Rock used to be good but it changed. PBR all the way.

I had a PBR in my keggerator that one of my son's friends left. I thought I would give it a try since there seem to be so many people that seem to "like" it. Honestly...it had the aroma of dog poop from the back yard. I tasted it anyway and it tasted like dog poop smells. I don't know what is wrong with me. I used to drink this stuff. Maybe I am ruined...:cross:

IM not sure if I'm spoiled on homebrew but I had a fosters oil can that was intolerable and it usually is alright for filling in. PBR is the best for price where I live but Heineken, black crowns are ok with me or corona. Those latter 3 are still 2 times more than PBR. I usually see running out of homebrew as an opportunity to try nice commercial beers I have yet to experience.

Oh, I forgot all about Black Crown. That's a solid BMC. Pricewise here though that and New Belgium are the same price so that's an obvious choice.

TBH i think the price over/under to define crappy beer should be stated.
PBR is cheaper than Budweiser, Bud is cheaper than Shiner Bock, Shiner is cheaper than Negro Modelo and on Up.
Generally i'd drink these in that order if price were the priority and opposite if taste were the priority.If the taste gets worse than say regular Budweiser.....i'd probably just buy some hard liqour instead.

My current fave is moosehead lager. Just crisp and invisible.

I used to like Budweiser, but the quality seems to have gone down since it was bought out. Yuengling is good but a little sweet. On a hot day in the middle of the afternoon, a freezing-cold Miller Lite is basically carbonated water, but hard to beat...

My family humors me for brewing my own beer but they would disown me if I paid money for anything that didn't have Molson on the label.

Before my first homebrew a couple months ago, I wanted to stock up on bottles quickly. Buying empty longneck bottles was $15/24, and buying *filled* Yuengling and PBR bottles was $17/24. I thought the choice was pretty clear—until I got home and realized they were all twist-offs. Still, they worked okay and only one beer out of my first batch turned out flat. I'm slowly replacing them.

Anyway, the point is that I knew Yuengling and PBR to compete for my favorite of the "cheap" beers, and 48 bottles later, PBR reigns as clear king to me. The more you know.:cross:

Beast. I don't pay for crappy beer, has to be free and the only option. I can deal with BMC at weddings and the like. Not gross, just absence of any flavor.

Back