A cocoa nib stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robcl

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first recipe post. I figured I would try it before I posted it:). I found the base for this somewhere on the web. I changed it around a bit and this is what came out. This one is really tasty. I’ve taste tested it with about 10 people. They all loved it. The recipe below is exactly what I did. Not an instruction sheet. Someone else please try this and share the results (I’m about to do my 2nd batch in the next week or 2). I may add ½ lb. carapils for some better head retention next time, Thoughts? I do not want to change it too much. It has a very dry, roasted flavor that is surprisingly smooth at about 8 weeks in bottles. It finishes clean and then you get a dark chocolate mouthful that is very subtle (to me anyway, love chocolate). Anyway I hope this is a good addition to the recipes here. Let me know:). Any suggestions or ideas to improve or correct anything are welcome.
On a side note, I was thinking of going all-grain. Does anyone know how I would convert this to all-grain?
I hope someone likes it!

DOUBLE COCOA STOUT
1-2 DAYS BEFORE BREWING:
*Prepare 2-quart extra light DME yeast starter 1-2 days before brew day. Leave on stir plate until ready. Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale Yeast.
* Measure and “BRITA” filter 5.5 gallons of water.
BREW DAY :
*Steep grains at 160 degree water for 20 minutes:
1 lb. caramel/crystal malt – 60L
¼ lb. black patent malt
¼ lb. roasted barley
2.08 oz. (.13lb.) chocolate malt
½ lb. flaked oats
*Remove from heat and add 6 lbs. dark malt extract and 1 oz. fuggles hops and boil for 60 minutes.
*Add 1 tsp. irish moss for the last ten minutes of the boil.
When the boil is complete, steep 22 oz. cocoa nibs in a grain bag (Recipe needs 2 Pounds total, I got these from Eastbluff traders, amazon.com) for 25 minutes, and sparge with ½ gal. 150 degree water when complete.
Cool wort to pitch temp.
Strain cooled wort to primary and add water for a 5 gal. total.
Aerate cooled wort for ½ hr.
Pitch entire yeast starter into primary fermenter.
In theory there should be 5.5 gallons in the primary.
My original gravity was +/- 1.060 (cheap hydrometer, tough to read).
*Ferment at 68 degrees for 1 week in primary.
*Roast 10 oz. cocoa nibs at 350 deg. For15 minutes and add to secondary fermenter. Rack beer from primary to secondary and ferment in secondary w/nibs for 14 days.
*my final gravity after 2 weeks was 1.012
*Rack to bottling carboy with ¾ cup corn sugar and bottle.
*Age for 4-weeks at 52 deg. And try:).

Latest posts

Back