A Charlie Papazian Moment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageSteve

Reaction score
I'm having a Charlie Papazian moment tonight. Let me indulge myself for a moment.

I'm drinking some very good homebrew (Ron's Belgian Blonde), breathing some fresh spring air mixed with some amazing incense, listening to some mind expanding Grateful Dead music, and thinking about how connected I feel with human history and the universe.

I'm drinking a beverage that we, as a species, have been making for thousands of years. I learned how to make it from other people, who, in turn, learned how to make it from others before them. And so on, and so on, and so on...

We have figured out how to combine the fruits of our agricultural labour with a bit of mystery (yeast) to create a beverage that excites and expands the senses. It alters our consciousness. We learn from the earth and create something new that gives us pleasure.

Beer.

Music.

It's all about creativity. The capacity of the human mind to imagine something novel and make it a reality.

The universe increases its knowledge and experience.

I will sleep well tonight.

-Steve

Now I'm not trying to blow your mind here but consider this:

The human mind has no set capacity. As a whole, collective set, what we can imagine and create is limitless. Even without the assistance of others to teach us. The concept of zero, the axle, astronomy, agriculture, etc. were all developed independently on opposite sides of the globe.

When we create music, beer, art, anything we have a limited set of tools to draw from. The important thing is our creativity, it is what sets us apart from each other.

The human mind has no set capacity. As a whole, collective set, what we can imagine and create is limitless. Even without the assistance of others to teach us. The concept of zero, the axle, astronomy, agriculture, etc. were all developed independently on opposite sides of the globe.

When we create music, beer, art, anything we have a limited set of tools to draw from. The important thing is our creativity, it is what sets us apart from each other.

YOU just blew my mind!!!

36e5a270e676fe36ac92c20089d2ce76.jpg

On that principle, I think music is a great example. Different areas of the globe define the rules for music differently. When you listen to it for the first time, (music from India comes to mind immediately) it sounds kind of weird but when you start to understand the thought patterns behind it, it is absolutely beautiful no matter where it started. Likewise dance. It doesn't have a singular birthplace except for the depths of human imagination.

Back