A call to all who have made a walk in cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attitude

Reaction score
I finally have the go ahead to build one. Is there any changes that you would have done differently after running them. Also can I use a cement floor or would I have to epoxy it or raise it. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Most walk in coolers I've used have a sealed cement floor. I have used a few with tiled flooring too.

I built mine in one end of my shop space off the garage. Concrete floor is working fine. I personally could not build an insulated floor and still wheel in carts holding full fermenters. Inside dimensions are approx 7ft x 7ft x 7ft.

I initially had issues with the window a/c freezing up and restricting the air flow. The thermostat had been bypassed and a Ranco controller used to control the entire unit. The solution was to wire a lamp timer into the thermostat circuit that could work on a 15 min interval. It will cycle the compressor 15 on/15 off while the fan runs constantly. A Ranco shuts off the entire unit when the setpoint is reached. Once dialed in it maintains a consistent 39 deg.

Back