A/C Froze up in Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustinBrewDawg

Reaction score
So, I come home yesterday to find that the coils in my house A/C froze up and my a/c had been blowing warm air all day. My first thought went along the lines, of "Oh no! My Racer 5 clone is in primary in the spare bedroom". Went I checked on it, the thermosticker said 79 on the outside of the bucket (My house thermostat indicated it was about 90 in the house).

Coincidentally, my Johnson A419 arrived the same day and I was able to figure it out and rig my chest freezer to maintain 65-70 and I put the primary in there.

So I guess now I run a risk of having off flavors due to high fermentation temperatures. Is there a remedy (like extra long in primary) I could do to "clean up" any off flavors? Or should I prepare myself to drink a batch of really, really good beer instead of superlative beer (which is what I normally make). Luckily it was a hop bomb like Racer 5 which might disguise subtle flavors.

Longer bottle/keg conditioning at room temp will get mellow out the esters you are going to get from the hot fermentation. Give it 2-3 weeks longer to condition at room temp than you normally would, and it'll turn out fine. It might not even take that long, since you were only at higher temp for less than a day.

Back