A boa in my hops!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanick74

Reaction score
Today I found a baby boa in my hops, when I removed caterpillars, I think it is an image inpensable in other latitudes, I share this curious image.:)

IMG_20170805_135101.jpg

IMG_20170805_135228.jpg

IMG_20170805_135436.jpg

/\ THIS!!! I don't like snakes. In less they're made into cowboy boots.

Is that your snake or do they just appear at random? Seems pretty friendly from my vantage point. Guess you won't have to worry about mice or voles chewing at the base of your vines?

Not only I found it, at this time of the year is when they are born in this area, and they are Fairly common, must have very few days of birth, at this stage are very dociles. A little bigger and they become Bitters. Fortunately I did not find a rattlesnake or a coral, with those I would not take any selfie :)
It is a good idea as a biological control.

That's crazy, but all i really see around here are garter snakes. Where are you from?

It's a cool looking snake, but I don't know if I'd be brave enough to hold it like you did.

That's crazy, but all i really see around here are garter snakes. Where are you from?

From his name, the fact that B. c. c lives in his area (though introduced) and that coral snakes and rattlers are also found there he is in southern Florida. I didn't think you could grow hops there though.

I love snakes. We don't have anything poisonous here, but we do in S. Texas where we go in the winter. The great thing about snakes is that they eat things that destroy our garden. We had a 6 foot long pine snake that lived in our garden for a while, and I was sad when he moved on. Of course, it's easy to love them when you don't have any venomous ones around I guess!

Snakes have very small brains while we humans have very large brains. When we humans choose to use our brain we might realize that non-venomous snakes, like this snake which appears to be a red-tailed Boa Constrictor, are absolutely and totally harmless to us. They pose no direct threat to any human being anywhere.
Venomous snakes can be a threat but no snake hunts or purposely attacks humans. Unless one steps on or otherwise molests a snake they want nothing to do with us.
There is no need to kill any indigenous snake just to kill it. They are actually very helpful in keeping many pest population, like rodents, in check.
However, I would argue that any invasive species of snake should be killed on sight since they can create serious disruptions in other indigenous animal populations.
I'm curious where the OP hails from since to my knowledge red-tailed Boas are not indigenous to the US. If he is in the US then killing it might be the right thing to do.

I found a boa in the smoker, years ago. Pretty good sized one, I figured somebody released it when it got too big.

Snakes have very small brains while we humans have very large brains. When we humans choose to use our brain...

Spot on!

Especially in the light of letting creatures live (not just snakes) rather than giving in to some cultivated urge.

Knowing some snakes are venemous is enough to be afraid of all snakes, unless you are some kind of snake expert. "Local snakes aren't venemous!" is easily countered by the fact that people import all kinds of exotic animals and then release them, and even zoos are known to occasionally lose dangerous animals.

But yea, I'm always very thankful of the purge enacted by our harsh winters. I don't love being in winter, but I do appreciate its deadliness. There are so many ag pests, venemous species, and diseases it allows us to not worry too much about.

Not only I found it, at this time of the year is when they are born in this area, and they are Fairly common, must have very few days of birth, at this stage are very dociles. A little bigger and they become Bitters. Fortunately I did not find a rattlesnake or a coral, with those I would not take any selfie :)
It is a good idea as a biological control.
Where are you...?

super cool

What hops are you growing there?

All are from seed of different countries, and 3 varieties that I could just get rhizomes here, cascade, centennial and mount hood, Also several hybrids that I am generating, add just over 1000 plants and counting.

IMG_20170807_093540.jpg

Wow. Love your hops, love your snek. Any good insect or arachnids patrolling the vines? The folks at reddit r/thehopyard would love these too!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back