A beer for her?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biohaz7331

Reaction score
I have been searching for a beer that my fiance will love so not only will she let me brew, but she will want me to. So far what I have found is she likes stouts but not very dark beers. Also if this makes sense she doesn't like the "Beer" taste. (Note Whenever I made a stout even in the old days with Mr. Beer she liked it) Another problem is that she cant be around when I brew because the smell of the wort boiling and the smell of hops gives her a headache. I am wondering if she just doesn't like the taste and smell of hops so I am wondering if there is a beer out there that would be perfect for her? Also I am only doing extract right now because apartments are not optimum for All Grain. Any suggestions or Ideas are welcome!

I've found some good bridge beers for Women are beers like Belgian wits, Belgian tripels, fruit beers like lambics (especially these) and sweet stouts low on the hops. The first beer my Wife loved that I made was a Belgian Tripel.

I would try a few of the styles mentioned above but would buy a bottle or two for her fist so you do not have to brew for her he next or 5 times you brew.

I tried an American Amber and her reaction was lukewarm. She drank a couple and I was the one that finished off the rest of the beer. I guess more for me. Maybe I should try a Scottish Ale then. She was somewhat interested in a Scottish ale but I have been making so many brown ales that I am now going to be brewing an Irish Stout and a Cream ale to see if she has any interest in lighter beers because I am hoping she likes the stout. Also I have been wanting to do more than just brown ales But I think the next one I may try is a Scottish ale to see how she likes it. Thanks!

I would try a few of the styles mentioned above but would buy a bottle or two for her fist so you do not have to brew for her he next or 5 times you brew.

That is a good point I may try to get one of those make your own 6 pack and see what her reaction to a wide variety is. I am not personally complaining though because so far I have liked everything I have been brewing and as a side excuse for how much I have been making I say it's for her :) . But I would actually like to find one she likes. I may also try a Fruit beer because she likes some wines and she will probably like some fruit beers as well.

A lot of Wine drinkers (though not of all wines) tend to like belgians, not stuff like the quads mind you, but the lighter belgians.

Try a Lindemann's lambic (framboise - raspberry). The stuff is too sweet for me.
also,
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Also, though many women avoid beer for the calories. In that case you might never get anywhere with your efforts.

My girl generally doesn't like beer but does occasionally find one she likes with no rhyme or reason behind the taste or style. Although she does really like the Woodchuck Hard Cider.

I'm in the same boat, she likes Irish stouts, and that was it at the time. She can't stand the hops for imperials etc. she likes cream ales alright, but recently found triples and really enjoys them, I would give that a try. The other crap she likes is the framboise mixed about 2/3 to 1/3 allagash white (she claims its even better with a splash of champaign) some bartender at capital ale house introduced it to her and she has been willing to taste new things since.

Also, I let her try new things when we go out to eat, as long as I like it lol. I tend to end up drinking what she orders if she doesn't like it more for me !

All Great Ideas thank you all! To Darrensbrew funny you should mention woodchuck hard cider because she really likes that stuff. I was looking into doing some hard cider because she enjoys drinking that with or without food. I will probably try a lambic as well I am just trying to get ideas for future brews. Your right passedpawn I may not get any that she likes but she does enjoy beer she just doesn't like many and she dislikes the aftertaste of hoppy beers so I believe ill eventually find one she likes more than me. It may take a while but I get to enjoy beer the whole way along the search so win/win!

Maybe take her to a place with a lot of good beer on tap and do some sampling.

As far as the smell/headaches, do you have any type of balcony that you can do your brewing on? You can get a bayou classic set up for pretty cheap. A friend of mine had the same issues being in an apartment so he brewed outside in their storage unit.

Yeah I have been thinking about doing a propane burner set up because I am currently stuck doing partial boils in a 5 gallon aluminium pot using an electric burner. I feel the aluminium is better for the electric burner but I would prefer full boils on a burner outside. I do have a balcony outside that would easily accommodate all of my equipment the only thing stopping me from upgrading is money. I would prefer to get a good burner so I could move to full boils when the time comes.

+1 to scottish ale (lighter versions).

Also, Alt and oktoberfest.

Proabably one of the alltime bests though - British Dark Mild. basically it is a light brown ale. low alcohol, easy to make, fast turn around and just a great, flavorful, low hop beer that is not overpowering.

Yeah I have been thinking about doing a propane burner set up because I am currently stuck doing partial boils in a 5 gallon aluminium pot using an electric burner. I feel the aluminium is better for the electric burner but I would prefer full boils on a burner outside. I do have a balcony outside that would easily accommodate all of my equipment the only thing stopping me from upgrading is money. I would prefer to get a good burner so I could move to full boils when the time comes.

I've seen the burner and pot for around $60, and you can easily do a full boil with it (it's what I used to use). By full boil I mean 5 gallon batch.

I know it isn't beer, but you could just brew some wine. No boil when you make wine either.

So far what I have found is she likes stouts but not very dark beers. Also if this makes sense she doesn't like the "Beer" taste. (Note Whenever I made a stout even in the old days with Mr. Beer she liked it)

Ever have Moose Drool from big Sky Brewing? It's a brown ale, but I'm pretty sure it has roasted barley in it, so it has stout-y flavor, but not too dark. Northern Brewer has a clone kit (extract or AG) called Caribou Slobber, and lots of folks here on HBT have brewed it with great success.

Ever have Moose Drool from big Sky Brewing? It's a brown ale, but I'm pretty sure it has roasted barley in it, so it has stout-y flavor, but not too dark. Northern Brewer has a clone kit (extract or AG) called Caribou Slobber, and lots of folks here on HBT have brewed it with great success.

It's very good. She might like it, but it's just a touch hoppier than other browns, or try a honey brown, or dunkelweiss.

I've generally found that trying to find a beer for people who don't love beer, is like trying to convince a carnivore that tofu is meat.

If my wife doesn't like it, to damn bad. I don't like her cooking.:eek:

How about Duvel? People who don't like beer often seem to like it.

And, I understand the recipe is pretty simple: pilsner malt, sugar, hops...

Hey thanks for all the ideas. I actually made caribou slobber and i just finished it off a few days ago. She kind of liked it but only had one or two beers I guess she didn't like the amount of hops but I thought it was quite excellent.

Hmmm..... Picky about the beer she drinks, can't be around when you make beer.

Maybe, you need to pair a new girlfriend to the beer you like instead of the other way around!

So far what I have found is she likes stouts but not very dark beers.
WHAT??? :confused:

Also if this makes sense she doesn't like the "Beer" taste. (Note Whenever I made a stout even in the old days with Mr. Beer she liked it)
So she likes dark beers...

Another problem is that she cant be around when I brew because the smell of the wort boiling and the smell of hops gives her a headache.
and this is where it goes downhill... Unless she doesn't use ANY hair products short of shampoo/conditioner and doesn't paint her fingernails this is a situation that needs addressed. Beauty products make a bigger stench than just about ANYTHING we can brew. I would square this away before it becomes problematic. I know we will look the other way for the sake of love but this is silly. Make her start to use beauty products outside or while you are not home, see what she thinks... ;)

I am wondering if she just doesn't like the taste and smell of hops so I am wondering if there is a beer out there that would be perfect for her?
I believe she likes stouts... I would explore chocolate, coffee and breakfast stouts.

WHAT??? :confused:

So she likes dark beers...

and this is where it goes downhill... Unless she doesn't use ANY hair products short of shampoo/conditioner and doesn't paint her fingernails this is a situation that needs addressed. Beauty products make a bigger stench than just about ANYTHING we can brew. I would square this away before it becomes problematic. I know we will look the other way for the sake of love but this is silly. Make her start to use beauty products outside or while you are not home, see what she thinks... ;)

I believe she likes stouts... I would explore chocolate, coffee and breakfast stouts.

Ha Ha I think she is just really really picky and has no idea what she actually likes...

To answer your other comment about beauty products I get massive headaches when she uses nail polish so she actually has to paint her nails when I am not home otherwise I get a horrendous headache. I don't know why but apparently brewing gives her a headache but I think she just really doesn't like the smell of it and she probably already has headaches whenever I brew. I don't really understand how it makes her sick because I am sensitive to overpowering scents and I love the smell of brew day!

Also to the girl friend comment from earlier shes actually my fiance so I don't think I am going to switch her out.

Oh and one other thing I think she likes dark beers but not really hopped up ones which is why I will probably also try some other stouts and breakfast stouts

Back