A 419

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm lagering two batches and want to keep the temp at 52. I have the dif set at 1. The temp seems to be holding at 51. I want to get a small fan to circulate the air, but for now I have one carboy wrapped with a piece of thin bubble wrap and the prob inside.

I also have the asd set at 12.

I just went to check it, and it temp reading on my JC showed 50. So it's one degree lower than I 'd like. I have a small thermostat sitting on the bottom on the freezer and it read 47. It seems to be colder on the bottom. I got a couple pieces of wood and put the two bottles on them just to keep them off the bottonm of the freezer. Not sure if it will do anything. I brewed on Sunday and the airlocks are still kicking. So I guess that's good. Hopefully not to cold for the lager yeast. Should be ok.

It is actually a 2 door Dr Pepper cooler. It will be used for lagers once I get a little more experience with ales.

well the power is on now.question when display reads 47 degrees and i want to lower it to 45 degrees(set point) .the compreesor cycles but temp does not stay @ set point it wanders back up to 47?

What's your differential, and do you have it set to cut in at the setpoint or cut out at the set point?

What's your differential, and do you have it set to cut in at the setpoint or cut out at the set point?

i have it set on 2 using it for lagering cut in @ setpoint for cooling.
what do u have yours set @??

hmm, it does seem strange then. With those settings, it should turn on at 45, cool to 43 and turn off. I was thinking you could have had it set for cut out at setpoint, where it would turn on at 47 and turn off at 45.

I'm using mine for fermentation, so I change it all of the time. If I have the setpoint at 68 with cut in at set point and 2F diff, it keeps my fermenting beer between 66 and 68.

hmm, it does seem strange then. With those settings, it should turn on at 45, cool to 43 and turn off. I was thinking you could have had it set for cut out at setpoint, where it would turn on at 47 and turn off at 45.

I'm using mine for fermentation, so I change it all of the time. If I have the setpoint at 68 with cut in at set point and 2F diff, it keeps my fermenting beer between 66 and 68.

whatt are you using to ferment a frig?

yeah, I use a dorm refrigerator with the freezer unit bent down. It's the perfect size for a bucket.

yeah, I use a dorm refrigerator with the freezer unit bent down. It's the perfect size for a bucket.

I did not think a frig would mainitain that high of a temp.
or are you using a belt connected to your a419?

I did not think a frig would mainitain that high of a temp.
or are you using a belt connected to your a419?

Nope. Once you hook up an external temp controller like the 419, you just set the fridge as cold as it will go and leave it; it doesn't really do anything anymore. The temp controller monitors the temperature and turns the compressor on and off when it wants at whatever temperature you tell it.

Of course, you can't stick it in a 50F basement and expect it to raise the temperature. The heat created by fermentation will cause some temperature rise, and that's all I'm trying to control.

Nope. Once you hook up an external temp controller like the 419, you just set the fridge as cold as it will go and leave it; it doesn't really do anything anymore. The temp controller monitors the temperature and turns the compressor on and off when it wants at whatever temperature you tell it.

Of course, you can't stick it in a 50F basement and expect it to raise the temperature. The heat created by fermentation will cause some temperature rise, and that's all I'm trying to control.[/QUOTE

That is why i bought that controller for the dual purpose for high and low temps for various purposes.I live in houston no basements here!
I will need to ferment in the frig this summer(very hot here)

What was the problem? Maybe it will help others.

Part of it was turning the frig down.the rest was setting the dif correctly
reset the rest of the setting to factory defaults and away she went.
working like a champ.now i have to mount probe in gel solution inside the frig.

Back